Thread: SE Singlecut or 245...help me choose

SE Singlecut or 245...help me choose

Looking at buying my first electric guitar 30 years after selling my last one needing money in college. I find myself being drawn to the PRS SE line. Not interested in a tremolo. The local shop has a used Singlecut and a new 245. Can someone explain why one would prefer a 25" or 24.5" neck? Other than personal preference in tone, feel and color...anything else I should consider? (And price of course). Thanks for your input

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Segalpin - I think you hit it on the head - play both and go with what you like. Assuming they are both SEs, the 245 has probably about 1cm more body thickness; that combined with the shorter scale length will probably yield a warmer tone.

They would both be about the same neck profile; the 1/2" shorter scale will make it easier to bend strings, assuming string gauge is equal on both. That might be a boon if you are getting back into playing after a long break. If you've been playing acoustic for the past 30 years then you s/b fine.

Obviously the 245 will give you separate volume and tone for each pickup; that's a personal preference.

If you go with new, you will get a warranty - if that's important to you, then that may be a factor, but SEs have always been solid, so despite standard wear and tear items like switches and knobs you s/b just fine without a warranty.

Some chains offer the SE gig bag along with the new ones...it's a great bag, so that's a bonus.

The good news is either one is a good choice, so you won't make a mistake. Just start budgeting right away for PRS #2

HAPPY SHOPPING!
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2014 SE Zach Myers | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

I have been playing my acoustic. Any downside to having a shorter neck?

Well the frets on the 24.5 will be slightly closer together. Some people find themselves cramped in the shorter scale, some like the slightly slinkier feel when bending notes. Going from acoustic, a 25" may feel more comfortable/familiar to you. You have the luxury to play both, so see what you like best. There's pros and cons to both, as stated, it's all about preference and what YOU like.

Just to put this in perspective the differance in distance between frets is about the thickness of 3 sheets of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Segalpin View Post
    I have been playing my acoustic. Any downside to having a shorter neck?
    Your ears are closer to your shoulders, but if you lean your head forward a bit everything sounds normal.

Playing them both should help you decide. There may be a bit of difference in string tension, but I've never tried the two different lengths with that in mind. It'll all come down to personal preference - just make sure the string gauges are the same if the tension on one makes a big difference to you.

There are some people on here who would tell you the only solution is to buy both (do it), but I'm not one of them(do it). That's something you'd have to (do it) decide on your own (do it).

Good (do it) luck and enjoy (do it) the process!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I have an SE Singlecut in 24.5" length and a Tremonti SE which is laid out like a 245 with a 25" scale length. I play a lot of acoustic guitar also and I can switch back or forth between all three without issue and personally... there is such a slight difference that to me it really doesn't matter. I always thought it would and I'm not an exceptional player by any stretch of the imagination.

On the left is the Singlecut. On the right in the Tremoni. In the background is my acoustic. All of them get playing time every week. Honestly I get more from the Tremont due to the dual volume knobs but it's a personal preference thing. I just got it and am using an amp that responds to volume with grit so I like that I can keep the rhythm clean and raise the volume for some grit and use the toggle to get more OD for leads without tap dancing. That being said this is my first guitar laid out as such so I've been tap dancing without issue for a while. I love both of them nearly equally.

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Your ears are closer to your shoulders, but if you lean your head forward a bit everything sounds normal.

Playing them both should help you decide. There may be a bit of difference in string tension, but I've never tried the two different lengths with that in mind. It'll all come down to personal preference - just make sure the string gauges are the same if the tension on one makes a big difference to you.

There are some people on here who would tell you the only solution is to buy both (do it), but I'm not one of them(do it). That's something you'd have to (do it) decide on your own (do it).

Good (do it) luck and enjoy (do it) the process!
    hmmm....wonder if I should buy both???

Absolutely buy both. The singlecut is my favorite format. I have 6 in different pickup combinations. The 245 is definitely warmer, and I think the highs are a little clearer above the octave E, due to the scale length. I think they're the best bang for the buck guitar out there, and it's really easy to correct any sonic issues you might have with them after you've owned them a while. Besides, remember the guitarists motto,,,,,,,,"One woman, many guitars." She should buy that line.

On the South Bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in rural town.
    If you can afford both and the used one is a great deal, I would consider jumping on it while they are still there, especially the used one.

I bought two used PRS SE's. My Singlecut SE Tremolo guitar was 200 out the door, in perfectly mint condition. My PRS SE Standard is a hard tail and was 250 out the door, in almost mint condition. I couldn't pass up those prices for two really nice guitars. That was about two years ago. I just bought a brand new yellow Santana SE that is also totally awesome in both look and sound. It is really fun to play the Santana. I play my other two PRSi too and have them right at hand here, next to me and some of my amps in our den.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.