Thread: Have I lost my mind? New SE 245.

Have I lost my mind? New SE 245.

My new PRS SE 245 arrived last night.
    I found the warranty cards etc in the case, but nothing on operation.
    Now, the 245 has 4 knobs and a switch. A separate volume and tone for each pickup, and a 3-way switch that selects "Bridge", "Both", or "Neck".
    Am I good so far? I couldn't find a diagram on the web, so I experimented a bit.
    I took my digital tuner and put it in the output. By closing all the pots and then opening one at a time, I figured out what's what.
    I can also identify the switch positions by selecting up for one pickup and down for the other.
    Here's what's making me scratch my head.
    If I put the switch in the middle position, and open either volume pot, One would assume I'd see a signal, but I don't.
    What am I missing?

In the middle position on any LP style guitar, there is not sound unless both volume pots are up a little.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    In the middle position on any LP style guitar, there is not sound unless both volume pots are up a little.
    Thanks for the quick answer. I guess it makes sense that if you select "both" you intend some volume from each. I was thinking on strictly a black and white concept, that "both" meant "either" as well.

Yeah - had the same issue when I got my first LP. Prior to that, I'd had a Hondo II LP copy, and it worked exactly as you assumed this would work - in the middle, you got the output of both, so if either pot was up, you got sound. You didn't need both. Threw me for a while - now I can't imagine it being the other way.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner