Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, Decisions!!!!

Decisions, Decisions!!!!

Next month, I'm looking to make one of these PRS SE Custom guitars mine!!! However, I'm having the toughest time picking the one I REALLY want! If money were no object, I'd buy both but. alas, at this point I can only buy one! On the right side is a 2013 SE Custom 24 7-String in Vintage Sunburst. I've been wanting to play a 7 again but haven't found one with a neck that was comfortable on the left wrist. This guitar was a joy to play!!! It was easy on my wrist and sounded killer playing through a 5-watt Marshall DSL. On my left side is a 2013 SE Custom Semi-Hollow in Scarlet Red. I missed playing a semi-hollow when I sold my Epiphone Sheraton. This guitar played much better than the Sheraton and didn't feel as bulky as the Sheraton (not being a 335 body type, helps). I know I'm getting a great guitar either way, but deciding which one is hard!!!
    My Gear
    2014 PRS SE 245
    2013 PRS SE Custom 7
    Blackstar ID:30
    Ernie Ball ST/HB Cobalt Strings

Ah, but decisions are so much fun when they involve guitars!!
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Ah, but decisions are so much fun when they involve guitars!!
    Very true
    My Gear
    2014 PRS SE 245
    2013 PRS SE Custom 7

Man that IS a tough choice! The good part is I dont think you can make a wrong decision. The bad part is you know that no matter which one you buy, a month down the road, as much as you love it, you will want the other one even more! Just flip a coin. You know in the long run you will have one of each anyway.

Flipping a coin would work for me. I agree with Tag.....you'll probably end up owning both guitars at some point.

Didn't I see this same smile on your face a few weeks ago?

I think I smell GAS (again)!!

Semi hollow all day.

Quote Originally Posted by rocguitar View Post
    Flipping a coin would work for me. I agree with Tag.....you'll probably end up owning both guitars at some point.

Didn't I see this same smile on your face a few weeks ago?

I think I smell GAS (again)!!
    100 octane, Bro!!!
    My Gear
    2014 PRS SE 245
    2013 PRS SE Custom 7

Dude - seems pretty clear to me. Assuming they aren't dealing on those prices, the 7-string works out to about $101.30 per string, and the semi-hollow is more like $110.67 per string. Each string of the 7-string saves you almost enough for another full set of strings! (Assuming you find a decent sale.)
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Dude - seems pretty clear to me. Assuming they aren't dealing on those prices, the 7-string works out to about $101.30 per string, and the semi-hollow is more like $110.67 per string. Each string of the 7-string saves you almost enough for another full set of strings! (Assuming you find a decent sale.)
    That is an interesting take!!! Horns up \m/ to your ingenuity!!!
    My Gear
    2014 PRS SE 245
    2013 PRS SE Custom 7

That semi is lovely... but if you're a 7-string kinda guy, it would certainly be different from your existing 245. That said, I'm of the camp that thinks you should just eventually get both.
    HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), 2 x 2011 'Stripped' 58 (blue crab blue & goldtop)

The 7 String might be harder to find at a later date. Get the 7 String now, if you think you will eventually get them both!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Markie....you think the 7 string is going away? Curious
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    Markie....you think the 7 string is going away? Curious

Dunno that they will go away. I do think there will be limited numbers produced on the 7 stringers, which will make them harder to find in the future. I do not have any proof of this ......................... just my gut instinct!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    The 7 String might be harder to find at a later date. Get the 7 String now, if you think you will eventually get them both!
    Actually, the semi-hollow would be the more difficult to find. I know of at least 3 Guitar Centers in the Chicagoland area that carry the 7-string.
    My Gear
    2014 PRS SE 245
    2013 PRS SE Custom 7

I'm a huge Hollowbody fan, but I would say if you need 7 strings, go that route. If you don't, grab the semi!

I would get the BC Rich Warlock in the background. Now that's a gem!

Normally I don't get too involved in these "which should I buy?" Discussions...

But man...that ear-to-ear smile is awesome!!!

You look like a proud papa holding your little babies!

When money is a concern, and you can't have both...I think it all comes down to which guitar will help you cover more ground, musically.

I see you have a 245 already...so...if it were me, I'd just take a look at my influences and what styles I tend to play.

This is to compliment your 245....sooooo....

If you play classic rock, folk, jazz and country, I'd do the Semi hollow

If you play classic rock, metal and hotter stuff beyond, I'd do the 7-string

My advice....get the semi-hollow and entertain the idea of a pickup swap later on in your 245...something that can cool-tap and "clean up" on lower settings...stuff like that.

Good luck!! Keep smiling!

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvenn View Post
    Normally I don't get too involved in these "which should I buy?" Discussions...

But man...that ear-to-ear smile is awesome!!!

You look like a proud papa holding your little babies!

When money is a concern, and you can't have both...I think it all comes down to which guitar will help you cover more ground, musically.

I see you have a 245 already...so...if it were me, I'd just take a look at my influences and what styles I tend to play.

This is to compliment your 245....sooooo....

If you play classic rock, folk, jazz and country, I'd do the Semi hollow

If you play classic rock, metal and hotter stuff beyond, I'd do the 7-string

My advice....get the semi-hollow and entertain the idea of a pickup swap later on in your 245...something that can cool-tap and "clean up" on lower settings...stuff like that.

Good luck!! Keep smiling!

Tony

I play anywhere from blues to heavy rock, so any guitar, I get, has to be versatile. In my opinion, both guitars would suit me well!!! The 7-string would be somewhat more appealing due to fact that I'm learning Staind songs which are easier to play to the tuning of G#,C#,G#,C#,F#,A#,D#. However, the resonant tones that come from the semi-hollow are nothing short of amazing!!!
    My Gear
    2014 PRS SE 245
    2013 PRS SE Custom 7

Quote Originally Posted by MistaSnowman View Post

However, the resonant tones that come from the semi-hollow are nothing short of amazing!!!
    This is your answer IMO. Semi hollow PRS are IT. I think the additional resonance will keep that killer smile on your face for years and years. Thats what my Semi hollow PRS have done for me.

Tag parsed your words and divined your true subconscious desire. I agree 100% with his approach and conclusion.

PRSh supposedly said something along the lines of he has never seen anyone look unhappy while playing a guitar. Apparently just holding them produces the same effect.
    Last edited by tiboy; 06-22-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox