Thread: SE245 soft frets

SE245 soft frets

So I got a bit carried away at last nights gig and decided to play a bit of slide with my beer bottle (last song shenanigans). Opened the case this morning to give the guitar a rub down only to find string indents in the frets under the b string 12th fret up and the top e string 7th fret up. I have carried out a complete fret dressing and have managed to remove the indents so alls good but I have done this many times with other instruments and never had this problem are the frets abnormally soft?

How old is the guitar? Usually they're not that soft but like anything there is a range of softness and hardness in them. Maybe you just got one on the softer side.
    I gave that pitch some vibrato, pitches love vibrato.

THE MOST OKAYEST GUITARIST IN THE WORLD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
    are the frets abnormally soft?
    No, they're just pissed at you for doing that.

Seriously, here's a nice video where Paul talks about fretting the instrument and the fret wire used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzKT8WrZhhc

I have no idea what they're using for the SEs, maybe it's a different material. I have no damage or discernable wear to the frets on any US PRS, but I do have a fairly light touch. I've had worse fret wear on non-PRS guitars in a shorter time.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 06-23-2014 at 12:44 AM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I too have wondered if the SE's had the same super hard fret "wire" as the USA Kent Island made guitars. Anyone know for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Horch View Post
    I too have wondered if the SE's had the same super hard fret "wire" as the USA Kent Island made guitars. Anyone know for sure?
    I would venture to say no... I needed a level and dress on my first SE after about 2-3 years. My others are wearing a bit as well. Not unreasonably, but I don't think it's the USA wire.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    I would venture to say no... I needed a level and dress on my first SE after about 2-3 years. My others are wearing a bit as well. Not unreasonably, but I don't think it's the USA wire.
    Boo hiss....

(thanks for that info, though).