Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another "Recommend Me Some Amps" thread

All I know is....pulled out my Bud Davis Metal with 59/09's and played through a bunch of my amps at high and low volumes....

I forgot how much fun recto's are to play!!! When eq'd right they are earthshaking and tight....absolutely brutal.

and the Paul's Amp may just be about the best amp I have ever played....holy crap that thing just belts tone....I mean 3D Magical tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bob View Post
    ...the Paul's Amp...that thing just belts tone....I mean 3D Magical tone.
    Oh man, another PRS amp that blows people away??!! All this inspiration is getting common-place around here. *sigh*

+ '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    If you like the Shiva, stick with it, but my bet is that you'd be blown away by the Clean tones on a PRS amp, and find the OD tones right in your bailiwick.
    I don't use the clean channel, but I do like it. I stick to the dirt channel and vary the gain and mode switch on the 20th to get all of my base sounds then roll volume back for cleans. But yeah PRS makes wicked good amps.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Oh man, another PRS amp that blows people away??!! All this inspiration is getting common-place around here. *sigh*

the Recording Amp is no slouch either....I was listening to clips of the Two Rock Mayer Sig and the Crystal....started my GAS up again...decided to see if I could capture that nice mellow smooth darker tone (JM sig).. Backed off the gain, bit of reverb, flipped some switches, added a Fender CS White Lightning Strat...GAS curbed.

and you all know the HXDA is what I use with my band.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 06-30-2014 at 07:23 AM.

So...a minor update to my quest.

But first, a big thanks to everyone for chiming in with suggestions! I really do appreciate the variety of opinions and experiences.

Anyway...on Friday I was looking around for other possible solutions, including something like an Orange Tiny Terror and speaker cab. It occurred to me that the reason my HRD cannot truly produce a tight OD sound is because of the open back, and just getting a speaker cab with closed back might help. So I ordered an extension cabinet, relatively inexpensive way of experimenting with my sound, and worse comes to worse, I just have more of my HRD's typical sound (which I like! I love that loose/spongy bottom end a la Neil Young!). And I can try it as a combo of external and internal, or just plug the external into the normal internal speaker jack. And if it really does nothing for me, I'll just return the cabinet. Either way, I will continue my search for a true modern-sounding amp. I have more guitars than I can play at any one time, why not have a couple of amps?

Co-incidentally (or is it!), my clean channel has decided to completely cut out on the HRD. Lead channel sounds normal. I didn't have time to play with it last night, but I suspect either a bad or loose preamp tube. I've unplugged it and will diagnose tonight. I'll start by swapping the pre-amp tubes for the clean and lead channels. The tubes have lasted 15 years, so I suppose this was expected...

I will still look into trying an Archon, or a H&K, or any of the other suggestions. The Archon is certainly top of my list, but I will continue to be open to other ideas... I just really wish there was a guitar store around here that carried a good variety of the amps being suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
    I just really wish there was a guitar store around here that carried a good variety of the amps being suggested.
    This is a real problem -- being able to try lots of amps in one place is difficult, let alone trying to check out all PRS amps!

Most stores just don't carry a variety of amps like they used to.

Therefore, we should have a giant PRS ampfest somewhere. Who's with me?
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I think I might know a of a place....

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
    Heh heh heh. I've heard of your collection. Still, dunno where you're at, off-hand. Hmmm. Anyone in central Florida?

Have amps, will travel.

(Picture of Chess Knight)

Wire LSchefman
    PRS Forum

Have amps, will travel.
    Pick me up.

Heh heh heh. I've heard of your collection. Still, dunno where you're at, off-hand. Hmmm. Anyone in central Florida?
    As I recall, the matching guitar collection ain't too shabby either.
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Pick me up.
    Yes.

So...a minor update to my quest.

Co-incidentally (or is it!), my clean channel has decided to completely cut out on the HRD. Lead channel sounds normal. I didn't have time to play with it last night, but I suspect either a bad or loose preamp tube. I've unplugged it and will diagnose tonight. I'll start by swapping the pre-amp tubes for the clean and lead channels. The tubes have lasted 15 years, so I suppose this was expected...
    A minor update to my minor update: swapped the pre-amp tubes, problem did not follow, but the clean channel suddenly came back to life. Took out the tubes again (after cooling them off!), sprayed some contact cleaner, inserted and removed clean channel tube a few times to rub off any oxidation, and everything is back to normal.

I'm gonna look around for Mom+Pop style guitar/music stores in the area. Anyone have any suggestions for Central Florida? Otherwise I may just hit a GC or SamAsh for giggles to see what they may have - sometimes stuff gets traded in, might be worth trolling around.
    Last edited by shinksma; 07-01-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Posting weirdness

Guitaraholic
    Therefore, we should have a giant PRS ampfest somewhere. Who's with me?
    Sounds like a plan. I have a PRS 25th Anniversary head and cab that I can contribute...
    PS#4884 McCarty Singlecut | PS#4889 McCarty Singlecut | Custom 24 Wood Library
    Caparison TAT Special CL14 | ESP USA M-III | Jackson USA Soloist 6 Chris Broderick | Ibanez Prestige S5470Q
    Alvarez-Yairi Masterwork DYM70

I will still look into trying an Archon, or a H&K, or any of the other suggestions.
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but after all the research could stand, I bought the H&K 18 tube head and a 12" H&K cab.
    Now, they introduced a 18 twelve, which is a combo with a 12" instead of the standard 10".
    I wanted a tube amp, my budget excluded the PRS's, and the 18 has a power switch that takes it down from 18 to 5 to 1 to silent with a XLR balanced line recording output.
    You can keep the gain without rocking the neighbors.
    My only complaint is the blue light is too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but after all the research could stand, I bought the H&K 18 tube head and a 12" H&K cab.
    Now, they introduced a 18 twelve, which is a combo with a 12" instead of the standard 10".
    I wanted a tube amp, my budget excluded the PRS's, and the 18 has a power switch that takes it down from 18 to 5 to 1 to silent with a XLR balanced line recording output.
    You can keep the gain without rocking the neighbors.
    My only complaint is the blue light is too bright.
    Well, I appreciate the input, even if you weren't paid for your endorsement!

I have looked at the H&K Tubemeister 18, and it is appealing. The one concern I have is whether H&K 18W power is similar to my Fender HRD's supposed 40W power. I still want to rock it out! Yeah, that's only 3dB (half-the-power), but I suspect I'd notice the difference going the other way (80W).

So the H&K 36W starts to look more like what I might want. Which is admittedly more affordable than the Archon.

And I am certainly heavily favoring separate amp head and cabinet. Hmm, lemme look at the H&K 18 and 36 again...

(And down the rabbit hole of guitar toy research he goes again...when will he return? Only the shadow knows. Oh wait, the shadow knows what lurks in the hearts of men, not ETA for rabbit hole jaunts. Whatever.)

I think he meant with multiple people.

And multiple personalities don't count!

(But if there is such a gathering there, I might be persuaded to bring a thing or two along...)
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Multiple people works..... Here are the PRS amps in the bat cave....

Archon
    DG30
    HX/DA
    MDT
    2-Channel C (with the Martysnarf mod...)

Beyond that, there are a "few" other cool guitars and amps around....and plenty of room for whatever other goodies other folks bring along.

2-Channel C (with the Martysnarf mod...)
    It has a big stain and smells like a stripper?
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Mesa Mark V. Great cleans. Great overdrive. Takes all pedals well. You seem to be all over the place with what you play and that is pretty much the swiss army knife of guitar amps.
    +1

- Fender like clean channel.
    - Sweet sweet tube overdrive channels with all classic and modern sounds available.
    - 10+45+90 Watt switchable tube circuits for great sound at all locations down to bedroom level.
    - 10 Watt Modus in channel 1 with gain up gives you very sweet natural non master amp overdrive like Fender deluxe reverb.
    - Aditional Variac Power for brown amp sound + gives nearly eternal tube live (lower voltage)
    - This amps are not loosing money but in opposite nearly all generations of Marks are trading higher now than their original price.

Great value for money

I have a Blackstar ID60 model amp as a backup and throw in your car amp.
    It has nice clean sounds and decent overdrive sounds. But compared to a MARK V its not even the same game.

My SC58 with the 57/08 together with the MKV Clean Channel 1 in 10 Watt circuit mode and gain up was nearly making me cry the first time I was playing through it and I had shivers on my skin.
    Last edited by zz_marcello; 07-02-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Let the good times roll