Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another "Recommend Me Some Amps" thread

Quote Originally Posted by zz_marcello View Post
    Great value for money
    yes, very much so.

Quote Originally Posted by zz_marcello View Post
    This amps are not loosing money but in opposite nearly all generations of Marks are trading higher now than their original price.
    As much as I'd like that to be true, at least in the US, unless you have a IIc+, the resale isn't that good. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good for a 25 year old amp, but my MkIII would only bring about $1k. I paid $1800 in 1989.

A MkV is a wonderful amp.
    Last edited by Boogie; 07-03-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    yes, very much so.

As much as I'd like that to be true, at least in the US, unless you have a IIc+, the resale isn't that good. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good for a 25 year old amp, but my MkIII would only bring about $1k. I paid $1800 in 1989.

A MkV is a wonderful amp.
    Hi Boogie,

maybe the MKIII is a bit of an exception between the popular MKIV and hugely popular MK IIC (+)
    The MKIV sold for $1200-1300 USD new in 1990 and that is about the amount you still pay for a used one now.
    Mark I are still selling for about 1000USD... and they where maybe 500USD new in the beginning 70th.

I bought my MKV Combo (built in 2012) used for about 2/3 of a new one and I don't see myself loosing much money there.
    (compare that with any modeler amp piece of gear)

Have a nice long weekend!
    Last edited by zz_marcello; 07-03-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Let the good times roll

I have to second Boogie's opinion...even the IIC+'s have come down in price...the V has held it's value better in the secondary so far...but over time I am sure that will erode as well...if you are buying used there are a ton of deals to be had...Mesa makes some kickass products.
    -Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_minor_blues View Post
    my 2 cents

The Bogner Shiva (20th Anniversary version even better!)
    This is probably one of the best amps I have ever had the good fortune of playing. It covers cleans wonderfully and as far as metal goes I can get everything from In Flames to Pantera with little trouble

it takes pedals very well
    Case in point with cleans, that is why I also have my 2 Channel H, these 2 amps really do cover the whole spectrum for me.
    Whale Blue 2008 McCarty w./ IRW neck / DGT IRW neck incoming
    Black Slate 513 w./ IRW neck
    PRS 2 Channel H + Bogner 20th Shiva
    EBMM BFR Petrucci 7 string (IRW neck)
    EBMM Mystic Dream 6 string (IRW neck )

So to follow up once more:

While browsing for various amp head + cabinet pairings, I was quite certain I wanted a sealed cabinet, because I suspected my open-backed HRDX was not as tight as a closed-back version. This is certainly true of Subwoofers (a topic I am very familiar with), and I figured it should apply to guitar speaker cabinets too.

I then thought to myself: if only I had a way of sealing up the back of my HRDX to see if that is the sound I'm looking for. At which point I remembered that Fender sells extension cabinets, sealed back, for the HRDX. So I ordered one - a fairly cheap experiment, and if nothing else would give me a 1x12 cabinet to use with whatever head I eventually get.

It came in last week (or was it the week before?), and I have had some time to experiment with the extension cab vs the internal speaker vs both. Internal alone I can really get that Neil Young sound, as always. Ext Cab alone it definitely tightens up, good for those core metal breakdowns. ;^) And combined, the amp seems to get a really nice even sound, not super tight but not super loose either.

I have also come to the conclusion that hybrid 9s or 10s in place of the regular 9s on my CU24 will get me an even tighter sound for some of the metal-like stuff I play (.042 for an E string detuned to D is just a little too flabby). And I just got in an SE Mikael Akerfeldt, which happens to have hybrids 9s on it, so I will be very much playing around with that this weekend.

I've honestly not had a chance to really wring it out, so eventually I may come to a slightly different conclusion, but so far I'm quite happy with my available options.

And now I can poke around for an amp head at my leisure, if I find one ~40W or less, I'm good to go, and if I go above that I will invest in a bigger speaker cab.

So thanks for all the hints, and although I am quite happy with what I have now, I'm certainly not completely satisfied, because a wide variety of amps and cabinets might be just as interesting to have as my wide variety of guitars...

Quote Originally Posted by shinksma View Post
    I'm certainly not completely satisfied, because a wide variety of amps and cabinets might be just as interesting to have as my wide variety of guitars...
    I've gone with as few as one amp, and as many as 7 or 8 in my studio over the years. Plus a variety of software and hardware modeling devices. Right now I'm running two amps, the DG30 and the HXDA, and of course a plethora of software stuff that I use for writing mostly on ad projects.

For me, the software modelers are just writing tools unless something really weird is needed on a project, so I won't comment more on that.

And with the disclaimer that everyone's different and has different needs, I'll make a few comments as to where I've been headed over time.

The more amps I have, generally, the more time I utterly waste trying to decide what I'm in the mood to play or record. I wind up spending a lot of time taste testing, and not enough time on the actual work or playing.

For me one great two channel amp has usually been enough, combined with whatever pedals are needed to complete the work at hand.

Right now I have two single channel amps, which amounts to the same thing; I use one for cleaner stuff, and one for dirtier stuff, just as I would a two channel amp. I'm satisfied, happy, and productive this way.

YMMV, of course, but for me paralysis by analysis gets in the way of creativity.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Yeah I'm with Les. I heard Chappers say "option paralysis" which I use often. It gets in my way.
    Plank Owner

+1
    Find one thing that lights your fire and run with it. Chances are, there are other aspects that you will love, too.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

+1
    Find one thing that lights your fire and run with it. Chances are, there are other aspects that you will love, too.
    I miss your Super Dallas.
    Plank Owner

Yeah.... Who are these idiots that have more than a couple of amps?

Kidding aside, I'll be the contrarian again. I'm certainly not saying that it's practical to have a bunch of amps, or that it's needed in any way. There is no question that I can do everything that I need to do for both live stuff, and noodling around at home, with...say... a Marshall Vintage Modern, an Exotic BB, an OCD and a TC Flashback. Under $1K all-in.

But I find monkeying around with the spectrum of amps out there way too fun. No option paralysis here. I treat the amps like I do the guitars. I tend to stick with a couple of guitars and a couple of amps for a couple of months, and then rotate to the next. Currently, it's a white DGT, a Firebird, an Archon and a Marshall 6100LE. The Archon is about due to rest some. It's been some time since I've played the Two Rock ODS, so it'll come back for a couple of months....and the Firebird will rest and be replaced by a Les Paul R7. The changeup in tone live really keeps things new and exciting to me.

Not practical, to be sure. But it's fun, and works...

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post

Kidding aside, I'll be the contrarian again. I'm certainly not saying that it's practical to have a bunch of amps, or that it's needed in any way. There is no question that I can do everything that I need to do for both live stuff, and noodling around at home, with...say... a Marshall Vintage Modern, an Exotic BB, an OCD and a TC Flashback. Under $1K all-in.

But I find monkeying around with the spectrum of amps out there way too fun. No option paralysis here. I treat the amps like I do the guitars. I tend to stick with a couple of guitars and a couple of amps for a couple of months, and then rotate to the next. Currently, it's a white DGT, a Firebird, an Archon and a Marshall 6100LE. The Archon is about due to rest some. It's been some time since I've played the Two Rock ODS, so it'll come back for a couple of months....and the Firebird will rest and be replaced by a Les Paul R7. The changeup in tone live really keeps things new and exciting to me.

Not practical, to be sure. But it's fun, and works...
    I hope you noticed that I did say "And with the disclaimer that everyone's different and has different needs..."

It is fun to have a lot of amps and guitars. No question!

Does it enhance one's inspiration and perhaps one's creativity? Maybe for some folks it does! I can only speak for myself as a working, recording musician with "special needs."

Typically, my turnaround time on an ad project, including writing to finished picture, tracking, mixing, and changes per client feedback is two (2) days. That's not a lot of time! So for me to sit around and try to decide between a bunch of guitars and amps is simply out of the question, whether I'd prefer to do that or not.

In my business, I have to make creative decisions and work fast. Just the way it is. And I find that limiting my choices also enhances my musical creativity.

This is something that Jack White has been interviewed about recently; here's a guy who can do whatever he wants, but finds that his creative work is better when he intentionally limits his options. His studio, for example, consists of a limited amount of analog gear and a vintage 8 track tape machine. He says that recording this way forces him to think in certain ways that enhance his creativity. I get that.

In fact, I regularly delete all rarely-used plugins from my computer. I don't even want them as options. The last thing I want to do is waste time auditioning, say, compressors or reverbs. I also don't like auditioning amps and guitars while I'm working; it winds up being Taste Fairy** stuff when I'm trying to capture ideas while they're still fresh. I've done that with far less gear than some here routinely use, and it just gets in the way for me. No one hears more than gross differences between guitars and amps once they're recorded and mixed. A guitar/amp combination either sounds great, or it isn't worth laying down. And "sounds great" is the only thing I care about.

So I don't think, "Oh this needs a certain guitar, and a certain amp sound." I tend to instead tell myself, "I want a fat sound here with a lot of grit," or "Something sparkly and clean would be great on this track."

As long as both have great tone, I'm good. And what I've found out over the past 25 years is, so are my clients.

In fact, the only time a client ever said anything about guitar choice was when I did some tracks in Europe for a car company. The client was a guitar enthusiast, and said, "Hey Les, you shoulda used a big ol' Rickenbacker 12 String on this track."

So I pulled my big ol' Rickenbacker 12 String out of its case and said, "You mean like this one? I used it on the track."

Yeah, he didn't have a clue.

I do the same with amps and guitars. If I find something new that works better for me creatively than something I have, well, the thing I have goes. That choice is therefore no longer available, and as a side benefit, doing that really makes me think hard about my creative needs, and it helps pay for the new thing.

My son, who has now worked with famed producers Steve Lillywhite and Flood, tells me that they also embrace a "less is more" philosophy when it comes to auditioning gear (even microphones) and taught him to concentrate on the performances, not the gear.

This isn't to say that I don't want great sounding equipment! I do. But once it's chosen, having one item for a purpose instead of many items is just a better thing -- for me.

YMMV. YMMV. And YMMV.

**The Taste Fairy is like the Tooth Fairy. A mythical being. There is no sexuality comment intended or implied here. I hope I'm making myself clear.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-26-2014 at 04:56 PM.

I can heartily recommend checking out Tone King. I tried a Sky King (twin channel fender-esque with dual attenuator controls) and a Majesty/Royalist (single channel Marshall-esque with attenuator) recently. Both epic sounding amps - but the Marshall tone was what I was after so went home with the Majesty.
    2013 PRS Paul's Guitar, Copper Flame
    2009 PRS McCarty II, Tobacco Sunburst
    2014 Tone King Majesty 45 Head + 2x12 Cab
    Fulltone | MXR | TC Electronic | ZVex

Quote Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
    If I allowed myself he financial latitude, I'd have a bazillion amps. Guitars are covered, mostly, for me, but I get all weak in he knees for a large variety of amps. If I ever sell my business and/or pay off the kids' college expense, I'll need to expand the Boogie Cave. Maybe even something similar you your dojo!

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    **The Taste Fairy is like the Tooth Fairy. A mythical being. There is no sexuality comment intended or implied here. I hope I'm making myself clear.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    I feel the same way about having a lot of amps.

Confessions of an Amp Addict -

Well...I still have a bunch of cool amps....But I did thin the herd somewhat over the last year...one night following playing with the band...I walked in and just felt like I had too much not being used...happens when you begin to get a couple of amps deep around the perimeter of the room....it was like a light switch....that particular day it seemed like such a waste...so I cleared a bunch out over the next few months.... I admit it feels better having less clutter.....but....I still get pangs..... I get amp GAS way worse than I do guitar GAS...I used to have a rule that I wouldn't flip amps that I really liked....reason being everyone tends to flip when they begin to tire of a sound...just to wind up craving it 6 months down the road...then you end up buying the same rig all over again...this philosophy kinda worked for me but eventually it caused me to keep impractical pieces...one offs and prototypes...huge fire breathing monsters.....little 5 watters....quirky pieces....multiple copies of the SAME AMP! !! Etc.......ultimately I ran out of room...and the ridiculous thing....I have no idea how to do any serious maintenance work on amps...I can change tubes...and fuses.....(I just got comfortable with biasing an amp myself)...but what if I smoked a screen resistor?....time for a cap job?.....off to the repair man...happened several times......the other thing....once I started really putting the time in with my most recent band it became apparent what worked and what didn't work...90% of my stuff just didn't fit...(goes for guitars too but that's for another time)....(ask my band members what I put them through...they cursed me....).....lately I have found Doug's creations to work best for my current endeavor....and I am satisfied....sorta.......(I couldn't get rid of them all....I did keep a handful of others)

Anyway. ....I see both sides.

in many ways less is more....and liberating....

but I must say that to be able to have the ability to look around a room....find the right combination of gear and have at it? It's pretty badass.....for instance I will NEVER EVER have any practical use for a Rivera KR100 and a 300 watt 3x12 Los Lobottom powered sub.....but man was it amazing to play....THUNDER OF THE GODS....I allowed common sense to creep in and let it go.....kills me....to crank that monster rig up on the clean channel and play a 305 or a good strat through it..it shakes you to your core....(and also bring the cops from the next county)...if I had a warehouse I might still have it....

But I don't.... I have a music room....up a staircase......the cab itself weighed well over 100lbs...NOT PRACTICAL as a grab and go!

Oh well....

We'll see how the less is more thing goes....(I spent a good hour tonight looking through the TGP amp emporium and YouTube clips)
    -Bob

Confession: I once had a 400 watt Mesa all tube bass amp with a very heavy duty cab to go with it.

That was a powerful sucker. I played a 35 inch scale length Modulus bass with a graphite neck through it. Sounded divine.

Sold it to raise money for something I also no longer have.

Things come, things go. But I never heard a better bass sound.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Confession: I once had a 400 watt Mesa all tube bass amp with a very heavy duty cab to go with it.

That was a powerful sucker. I played a 35 inch scale length Modulus bass with a graphite neck through it. Sounded divine.

Sold it to raise money for something I also no longer have.

Things come, things go. But I never heard a better bass sound.
    I had one of those Boogie Strategy 500 power amps that was just a straight up retardiculous amount of power! Hit a low E string chug and the first ten rows would poop their panties, of course I did too tryin' to lift that stuff. I hear you though, it sounded great... police showed up wherever I plugged in.

The HRDX I have I quite like. It is not everyone's favorite amp, and I understand that - but I think for what I play, and how I play, it suits me just fine. And with the extension cab it seems to really have a nice sound now.

The reason I started this thread was because I was (and will continue to be) suspicious that there are other great tones out there for me to find, especially something "tighter" and more "modern" (whatever that may mean to any particular individual). I think something like the Archon or a Mesa/Boogie Double/Triple Rec would fill that void, but I'm OK waiting a while - I've had lots of other toys to buy recently (including that extension cab), plus a few other more annoying and unplanned expenses.

So I will continue to look around, and maybe someone will want to unload their Archon on Reverb or something for a fair price...

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I had one of those Boogie Strategy 500 power amps that was just a straight up retardiculous amount of power! Hit a low E string chug and the first ten rows would poop their panties, of course I did too tryin' to lift that stuff. I hear you though, it sounded great... police showed up wherever I plugged in.
    Confessions of a latent bass player...I still have a Crown DC300A that I used to biamp a Gallien-Kreuger old MX series into Guild Hartke aluminum coned 4x10 + 1x15 cabs. Played that for an outdoor festival gig for a performance choral competition (we were the pit band) and though the music was trite and boring, I still remember the huge grin on my face. biggrin: The Mesa gear was only a dream for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvenn View Post
    I would say for tube: Hughes & Kettner tubemeister (varying sizes)
    I concur. I have two H&Ks, a Triamp Mk. 2 and a Tubemeister 36, and it's kind of amazing how much of the Triamp's huge range is covered by the much less expensive and more portable Tubemeister 36.
    2001 Singlecut (gray-black)
    2006 McCarty Rosewood (amber)
    2013 SE Bernie Marsden (vintage sunburst)
    2x SE Custom 24 7-string (2013 royal blue, 2014 amethyst)
    2014 SE Custom 24 (vintage yellow)