Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Center parts ways with PRS

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post

It'll sort itself out eventually. But PRS isn't going to suffer.

Les,
    Are PRSs sales numbers OK? No matter what anyone says about GC, it cant be a good thing to have a large chain stop selling your products for the most part. It seems PS sales are way down, at least on this and the vintage rocker forum compared with even a year ago. I would think Gibson and Fenders high end #s are down as well. My #s are on par with last years, which means pretty bad, and I just lost two more large clients because they lost THEIR jobs. 3% down turn in the economy over the last several months was just reported I believe. Things seemed to be in a very slight upswing for a while, but now it seems like everything is falling again.

There are a whole bunch or PRS at the Raleigh Store. None are left handed though.

I had a totally differant experiance from everyone talking here. First let me say that I am a total newbie. I had never played a guitar until about 3or 4 months ago When I picked up a Epiphone LP100 with a cracked neck for $15.00 (didn't want to invest any money until I decided if I really liked playing). After repairing it my self and setting it up after watching several videos I was hooked so a month ago I walked into GC to buy a new Epiphone LP ( I had narrowed it down 2 models) I pulled both models off the wall and played a little with them. I then asked the guy behind the counter a few questions I had. He was super helpful taking the time to not only answer all my questions but to demo both guitars for me. I then decided on one of the 2 epi's. Then as was about to conclude the deal he says have you looked at these pointing to wall behind him stocked with at least 50 PSR's. My first thought was I have never heard of them. (Don't flame me as I said I am a total newbie). My second thought was These are all thousands of dollars and I have no intention of spending that at this point. Just then He pulled a PSR SE 245 off the wall and started telling me all about PSR and the SE line. I then started compareing the SE 245 to the Epi I had in my hand . I was blown away by the differance. The finsh , the feel and the sound. All the employees who came up raved about PSR. I am now the proud owner of a tobacco Sunburst SE 245.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Not to argue, just seeking clarification: Why do you feel that way?

So what's missing?
    Good question Les and that's all true, but they're still getting overlooked by the general guitar playing public. Quick thoughts on why I wasn't hooked.

The magazine ads are dull. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, when they launched the S2 line they should have run ads not usual for PRS, like "No Birds, no bling, no BS" and explained how they are straight up top quality players for guys who are not the usual PRS buyer.

The sophisticated website with lots of product information, beautiful photography, and videos: I don't want nice photography I want specs and PRS is stingy on their pickup's specs. What the heck does "it's a 245 pickup" or a "Starla pickup" mean to someone who is not into PRS? I also want a list of locations where I can try the model out within 30 minutes of my mid-size city.

The only endorsement I fully go by is when a guy uses a an off the shelf guitar he paid for with his own money and uses it every night, or if he is at least using a straight up stock out of the box guitar that anyone can get. (I've heard Santana does this with his Core model). Does Marsden use a stock WMI made version of his sig, a prototype or one from the custom shop (I'm asking because I don't know)? Also I'm pretty up on music and I still have to Google a lot of the names of PRS artists.
    But here is a great review of the original Mira, even if the player is really a Gibson guy.
    http://www.premierguitar.com/article...wn-keith-urban

Like I said these are just my opinions on how PRS could have hooked me sooner and nothing more. And I will say that Paul does a great job spreading the word but I think often he's preaching to the converted (no fault of his).

With that all said I headed to both Sam Ash and GC today to look at a new acoustic for my son, my hope was that there would be an PRS SE Angelus Standard on the wall that we could try. I was in luck and after my son played a bunch of other brands he tried the SE and decided to save up a little more for the Angelus. So there may be a new SE guitar in the house in a few weeks.

After that we headed over to the PRS section/corner/nooks in both stores and outside of a few 305s there was only a few SEs. I played a SE 245, a SE Santana and a SE Semi-Hollow, and I just don't think they compared to my S2 (of which there were zip/zero/nada in either store). I won't say what I thought about the Epiphones or Gibson USA models that we tried, but most didn't hold a candle to the SEs.

Gotta go, the burgers are burning.

Not to be argumentative, but being one who traversed the real economic downturn several years ago, I don't see the economy being all that bad right now. It's all relative. The problem at GC is the kind of delayed reaction that happens when investors throw money at a problem to delay the inevitable. It pains me to see my friends that are caught up in the whirl wind, but times are a-changin'. It's time to innovate...or liquidate.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
    I had a totally differant experiance from everyone talking here. First let me say that I am a total newbie. I had never played a guitar until about 3or 4 months ago When I picked up a Epiphone LP100 with a cracked neck for $15.00 (didn't want to invest any money until I decided if I really liked playing). After repairing it my self and setting it up after watching several videos I was hooked so a month ago I walked into GC to buy a new Epiphone LP ( I had narrowed it down 2 models) I pulled both models off the wall and played a little with them. I then asked the guy behind the counter a few questions I had. He was super helpful taking the time to not only answer all my questions but to demo both guitars for me. I then decided on one of the 2 epi's. Then as was about to conclude the deal he says have you looked at these pointing to wall behind him stocked with at least 50 PSR's. My first thought was I have never heard of them. (Don't flame me as I said I am a total newbie). My second thought was These are all thousands of dollars and I have no intention of spending that at this point. Just then He pulled a PSR SE 245 off the wall and started telling me all about PSR and the SE line. I then started compareing the SE 245 to the Epi I had in my hand . I was blown away by the differance. The finsh , the feel and the sound. All the employees who came up raved about PSR. I am now the proud owner of a tobacco Sunburst SE 245.
    Hey,

You can't come here if you don't know the proper initials.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Good question Les and that's all true, but they're still getting overlooked by the general guitar playing public. Quick thoughts on why I wasn't hooked.

The magazine ads are dull. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, when they launched the S2 line they should have run ads not usual for PRS, like "No Birds, no bling, no BS" and explained how they are straight up top quality players for guys who are not the usual PRS buyer.

The sophisticated website with lots of product information, beautiful photography, and videos: I don't want nice photography I want specs and PRS is stingy on their pickup's specs. What the heck does "it's a 245 pickup" or a "Starla pickup" mean to someone who is not into PRS? I also want a list of locations where I can try the model out within 30 minutes of my mid-size city.

The only endorsement I fully go by is when a guy uses a an off the shelf guitar he paid for with his own money and uses it every night, or if he is at least using a straight up stock out of the box guitar that anyone can get. (I've heard Santana does this with his Core model). Does Marsden use a stock WMI made version of his sig, a prototype or one from the custom shop (I'm asking because I don't know)? Also I'm pretty up on music and I still have to Google a lot of the names of PRS artists.
    But here is a great review of the original Mira, even if the player is really a Gibson guy.
    http://www.premierguitar.com/article...wn-keith-urban

Like I said these are just my opinions on how PRS could have hooked me sooner and nothing more. And I will say that Paul does a great job spreading the word but I think often he's preaching to the converted (no fault of his).

With that all said I headed to both Sam Ash and GC today to look at a new acoustic for my son, my hope was that there would be an PRS SE Angelus Standard on the wall that we could try. I was in luck and after my son played a bunch of other brands he tried the SE and decided to save up a little more for the Angelus. So there may be a new SE guitar in the house in a few weeks.

After that we headed over to the PRS section/corner/nooks in both stores and outside of a few 305s there was only a few SEs. I played a SE 245, a SE Santana and a SE Semi-Hollow, and I just don't think they compared to my S2 (of which there were zip/zero/nada in either store). I won't say what I thought about the Epiphones or Gibson USA models that we tried, but most didn't hold a candle to the SEs.

Gotta go, the burgers are burning.
    Spec's are secondary. What good are they if the guitar is shaped a an ear of corn(reminds of the ugly Musicvox guitar that looks like it has a Gastropod foot sticking out)? Same thing with chicks...

My understanding is that GC is unloading a lot of higher end gear (PRS among it) at their non-platinum stores and only carrying it at their platinum stores in the future. My guess is that inventory costs got too high and they needed to change their business model. But that's just my guess.

Marc

Not to beat a dead horse, but GC has also parted ways with Mesa/Boogie and Behringer/Bugera. I suspect (perhaps too soft a phrase - "it's obvious") they are whittling down to the popular big-name brands plus a few budget brands to get their stores more efficient cashflow-wise. And F & G can afford to front GC with inventory for a while if it means they get center stage for their products, ensuring they remain the default brands for anyone entering the music scene.

Eventually GC will either revive or die. If it revives and gets properly healthy, it will, one day, want to carry a wider variety of brands once again, and the next-gen PRS or whatever will be waiting for a chance at greater exposure through a national chain.

IMHO, I am not a financial analyst nor do I own stock in any of the aforementioned brands - only product.

Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    Spec's are secondary. What good are they if the guitar is shaped a an ear of corn(reminds of the ugly Musicvox guitar that looks like it has a Gastropod foot sticking out)? Same thing with chicks...
    True, if I had an adequate set of examples to try out, but at the rate things are going with PRS in big box music stores I really don't have much else to go on. It's like those mail order brides I ordered from Russia, nice pictures but if I only had the specs I would have gone with one of those Asian models and not have to pay to ship them back.

Sorry I know the initials but I should know better than to try typing after driving all day LOL

If memory serves, GC was in massive financial trouble last time I checked. In debt to the tune of roughly $1 billion.

I believe Bain Capital took over its management, and obviously there's a lot of restructuring going on.

The idea that they would lower their high-end inventory (which is what this PRS dealio sounds like) makes perfect sense.

And in any case, they're doing PRS a favor. Guitar Center is the Kay Bee Toys of the music world. Look at their website. Everything about it, from the postage stamp sized photos, to sparsity of (accurate) info, it's an absolute joke. Looks to me like they're trying to cut their losses and become a liquidator.

And it sounds like the SE will still be on the floor, which also makes sense. Nothing here to be even remotely startled by, IMO.

Had to get my Mesa through Sweetwater as well as my PRS. Left handed you know.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    FWIW, the condition of the stuff that is left over at this point is deplorable. I have been sent pictures of some really stunning PRSes with quarter-sized chunks of finish down to the wood out of them. I was a little late to the bandwagon, so I suspect that, although all of them are great guitars, most of the stuff in good condition is long gone...
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

I worked at GC for a month and was fired because 1. the manager at the time was a dirtbag and 2. because he didn't bother looking into the fact that other employees who had to ring me up were stealing my sales. Anyways, there were many times I tried to steer customers into better instruments when other employees would bad mouth the instrument, call it garbage, say I didn't know what I was talking about, and push them into something else. Those something else instruments were one's that they made more commission on. PRS guitars don't net you anything in that line by the way for the employee or the store. Instruments by Gibson, Fender, Breedlove, Egnator (GC owned brand), net much more profit for the store and employee.
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

A little old but begs the question, how the hell is GC still operating?
    http://www.ericgarland.co/2013/11/26...ig-box-retail/

Kind of wonder if them dumping PRS is the best thing for PRS in the long run.

SolaceMatt, why didn't PRS net anything for the employee and store? What were the terms?

Quote Originally Posted by solacematt View Post
    Egnator (GC owned brand)
    I have been playing Egnater amps since 1999. GC does not own the company. GC had exclusive distribution for a number of years, but that is no longer the case.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl;153876[B
    ]FWIW, the condition of the stuff that is left over at this point is deplorable.[/B] I have been sent pictures of some really stunning PRSes with quarter-sized chunks of finish down to the wood out of them. I was a little late to the bandwagon, so I suspect that, although all of them are great guitars, most of the stuff in good condition is long gone...
    I saw a DC3 that looked like it had been in the Nashville flood. There were serious cracks in the finish. The salesman tried to pass it off as "a cool thing nitro guitars do in Colorado's climate." I'm sure I got bashed as the know-it-all-customer who corrected him when I walked out the door.

I'd like to see GC survive - which would require a dramatic change their business model (decentralize marketing strategy to become more in-tune with local markets while maintaining centralized buying power for economies of scale). If they got some longer term employees while keeping prices good they'd sure do a lot better. As it stands, dealing with the "young professionals" who generally line the string counter is a little hard to stomach. There are, of course, exceptions. I've dealt with some very decent human beings (and serious players) under the GC umbrella - which is why I'd like to see them survive (without Ares or Bain Capital).
    One Life

Quality always finds a way. So i'm not worried.