Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Center parts ways with PRS

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Goldstein View Post
    Had to get my Mesa through Sweetwater... Left handed you know.
    It's those left handed amps that I love. Lefties unite!
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    Les,
    Are PRSs sales numbers OK?
    Do I get info you don't get? Heck no!

But I sure wouldn't speculate.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Just noticed that GC is clearing out EBMM also. So it looks like they are going mostly low to mid quality G & F guitars

http://clearance.guitarcenter.com/index.cfm

GC is still clearing out PRS as well. Click the link above and limit your search to PRS and guitars. The descriptions have the modcats on most of the guitars. It doesn't tell you where the guitars are. You have to email customer service with the item number and they will tell you the store where the guitar is. You'll have to call them for photos and to make the deal. Most are 50 -70% off list price.

There is is a korina McCarty for $1200
    Custom 24 2003
    SE One 2009
    Brent Mason 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jcolmn View Post
    http://clearance.guitarcenter.com/index.cfm

GC is still clearing out PRS as well. Click the link above and limit your search to PRS and guitars. The descriptions have the modcats on most of the guitars. It doesn't tell you where the guitars are. You have to email customer service with the item number and they will tell you the store where the guitar is. You'll have to call them for photos and to make the deal. Most are 50 -70% off list price.

There is is a korina McCarty for $1200
    Not that it matters much since this sale has been so publicized, and we're all pretty much aware of it, but the forum rules say we're not supposed to discuss new guitar pricing here.

At my local GC, a platinum store, some of the guitars were in terrible shape - dings, dents, deep scratches. Some were in decent shape with a lot of shop wear. A couple were nice.

The dinged/dented ones aren't bad for players' guitars, or for modding. But I was disappointed with how many of them had been cared for.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-02-2014 at 08:20 AM.

One thing I believe GC may be reflecting is a shift away from premium guitars and towards good-enuff guitars. SEs, MIM Strats, Gibson Melody Makers and LPJs are all quite popular and good-enuff for the average player. And as previously noted you can own two or three for the price of say a LP Standard, or an S2 Mira or American Standard Strat. So in many ways it's the guitar buying public who is really responsible for why GC is cutting back on the good Gibsons & Fenders and dropping the premium guitars like PRS and EBMM.
    Last edited by NomadMike; 07-02-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    SolaceMatt, why didn't PRS net anything for the employee and store? What were the terms?
    Apparently despite the amount of guitars GC gets from PRS they still don't get much of a price break so tat number between wholesale and floor sticker isn't much. At least that's what I was told. The same goes for a handful of amps and and pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    I have been playing Egnater amps since 1999. GC does not own the company. GC had exclusive distribution for a number of years, but that is no longer the case.
    When I worked there I was told that GC bought the Egnater name back in the mid '00's and it technically is there brand. You may have been playing Egnater amps since 1999, but there's most likely a difference between that 1999 amp and that same model you buy in store now if it's still in production.
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

Originally Posted by Tag
    Les,
    Are PRSs sales numbers OK?

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post

Hhmm . I was the one who mentioned sales numbers Tag, not Les. Maybe you should have asked me to explain my post further. Les! I am not speculating, I know we never met. I look forward to doing so. But please do not assume I am speculating. I have no time to BS. I am here because I want to be here and like PRS. I feel the need and desire to represent PRS, not just as a customer, but as someone who has taken ownership in the companies core values. Back on point, I am happy to explain the sales figures by saying this.

I review retail/manufacturer music company business reports. Out of amusement I dig a little deeper to corroborate what I have read to see if the figures in general line up, and in this case, as most, they do. What reputable company would post erroneous figures? Pretty much none. Anyone can take the time and do the same research. You will find very similar, if not the same results. In this case, PRS sales have been very consistent over the past decade with two years that saw exceptional results with production numbers in those two years that were 2 to 3 thousand units higher than the other years. These figures were for core guitars only. They did not include Private Stock , SE or what have you. According to the folks I have talked to at PRS about Private Stock, the sales have been beyond expectations the past two years and they are happy. They should be, their product is phenomenal. All said, folks keep going on an on about GC pulling the plug on PRS. For goodness sakes, give the PRS company you like so much some damn credit. Perhaps PRS had something to do with this. Just maybe!!!! Gish! Goodness PRShi is a good business man, that cannot be denied. By everyones post alone, it can be interpreted that GC called all the shots and that would make them the bully. You know what, they are. But I think it is safe to say PRS had some say in this. Some companies like PRS, Mesa and others limit their involvement with other businesses like GC, if not severe ties altogether because they like being a small business with a great product. I have heard two PRS reps say to me that PRS is the biggest smallest company out there. Funny, but true. Their is nothing wrong with that. The day PRS becomes like the other two A holes, I will have to consider another brand. Thankfully, I do not think that day will ever come, because PRS is not entirely about the money. Paul is about the tone. When have you ever heard him once, talk boring sales nonsense and dismiss the product. Never, that I could find. He is always out there at the music stores with the instruments, playing the instruments, talking to the musicians, talking about his pursuit of tone , not DAMN MONEY!!!!! Thank you!
    Last edited by Audie; 07-05-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Not a new story but could explain the move from premium guitars.
    http://bobbyowsinski.blogspot.com/20...ar-center.html

Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    Maybe you should have asked me to explain my post further. Les! I am not speculating,
    I didn't remember your post, Audie, and wasn't referring to it.

I was just responding to Tag's question when I said I wouldn't speculate. I'd have been happy to speculate if I had a clue.

The reference to speculating was pure coincidence, actually.

Now someone correct me if I am wrong but didn't GC also part ways with Mesa Boogie earlier this year?

[QUOTE=Audie;154364]

I review retail/manufacturer music company business reports. Out of amusement I dig a little deeper to corroborate what I have read to see if the figures in general line up, and in this case, as most, they do. What reputable company would post erroneous figures? Pretty much none. Anyone can take the time and do the same research.

Audie, what resources do you use to find this information? You can private message me if you don't want to make it public...

Hey Les,
    You said PRS was not going to suffer, so I thought you had some kind of solid information, thats why I asked about the sales numbers. It seems you were just speculating though.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_minor_blues View Post
    Now someone correct me if I am wrong but didn't GC also part ways with Mesa Boogie earlier this year?
    Yup... but that was a different scenario. Mesa's strict MAP pricing policy put an end to that relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    Hey Les,
    You said PRS was not going to suffer, so I thought you had some kind of solid information, thats why I asked about the sales numbers. It seems you were just speculating though.
    Hey, that was prognosticating, not speculating.

Hey, that was prognosticating, not speculating.
    Hey, I'll man up and put my donkey ears on. I took it differently thats all. I see my error.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yup... but that was a different scenario. Mesa's strict MAP pricing policy put an end to that relationship.
    PRS went to a MAP pricing policy also, hmmm.

Mesa has rules that their products not only have to be advertised at the MAP price but also have to sell at that price. Mesa doesn't let dealers negotiate with buyers, cut deals, clear things out, etc. I'm also pretty certain that this policy does not expire after a year, since Mesas products do not have model years. So, for a company like GC that may have 50 Mark V amps in their warehouse, they could be saddled with those amps in perpetuity, with no ability to have a sale to clear things out every once in a while. Its a fair policy for all but ends up being a big pain for GC for what little Mesa stuff they sold.

I think they always had one, Audie.

Les, Isn't the legal part of MAP that a retailer can't advertise below a specified price but they can still sell it for whatever price they want? Of course you may get cutoff by that supplier but I think that would be fine to someone trying to clear out some aging non-sellers.