Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guitar Center parts ways with PRS

Quote Originally Posted by NomadMike View Post
    Les, Isn't the legal part of MAP that a retailer can't advertise below a specified price but they can still sell it for whatever price they want? Of course you may get cutoff by that supplier but I think that would be fine to someone trying to clear out some aging non-sellers.
    Outside my territory, Mike!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

MAP, or "minimum advertised price", is a common contract between manufacturers and dealers. As noted already, it means the dealer cannot advertise below a certain price, but actually can sell the product for whatever they want. There's also different types of contracts wherein the dealer purchases the product in full, versus a credit type system where the product is essentially "loaned" to the dealer and then billed for the product. That entails some type of interest charge.

Mesa/Boogie had something called "Pro Net Pricing". That meant that any dealer had to sell their product at their price, and cannot budge even a penny. This is possibly what led to the demise of the GC/Mesa relationship. I have heard other rumors about what happened. One was that Boogie was pushing GC to a strict "no return" policy on their amplifiers. Another was that they felt GC was simply inadequate at sufficiently representing the Mesa brand. I hate to spread rumors, so I say these things with the disclaimer that they ARE ONLY RUMORS. I do not know for a fact what the actual problems were.

There are all kinds of brands GC is inadequate at advertising....
    PRS SE Angelus Standard w/Piezo
    PRS Santana SE (Custom 22 w/Santana Headstock Inlay)
    Fender T-Bucket 300CE Acoustic-ElectricFender Mustang I
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    I'm in the"buy all the prs guitars you can afford" camp.

These threads are always amusing.
    Ron Lucas
    Guitar Center Cincinnati
    ronald.lucas@guitarcenter.com
    513-671-4555

How about a little insight Ron…from the "horses mouth" so to speak… What's the inside word?

Quote Originally Posted by toothace View Post
    How about a little insight Ron…from the "horses mouth" so to speak… What's the inside word?
    +1
    2013 PRS 408 Autumn Sky | 2009 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Olympic White | 2010 Gibson Les Paul Standard

+ 10,000... Come on Ron give us the skinny!
    2011 PRS Custom 24 Limited, 1999 PRS CE ( w Dragon II pickups dated 4-20-99 ) , 2014 Gibson Studio Deluxe, 2006 Gibson Flying V, Line 6 Spider 4 Half Cab
    2014 Rickenbacker 4003, 2003 Fender Jazz, Ampeg SVT II
    " While Everybody's Jumping On, I'm Just Trying to get off... "
    ~Scott' Slot

Came across this article about GC (pre-Ares buyout) that offers a different view than most of the write ups I've seen, many which are referencing a single source (Eric Garland) which is a yellow flag to me.
    It does go a little into unions, Bain, the debt and the other topics that often come up when talking about GC.

http://mmrmagazine.com/fretted/684-g...e-big-box.html
    Last edited by NomadMike; 07-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Hey, that was prognosticating, not speculating.

Ha! Then I stand corrected. (And I learned a new word for the day!) And people think you only learn about PRS guitars here.