Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cobalt Strings

Cobalt Strings

Who's using them? What is your impression?

From the EB Literature:
    "Engineered to maximize output and clarity, Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Guitar Strings are the latest innovation in string technology. Seeking to provide guitarists and bassists with a new voice, Cobalt strings provide an extended dynamic range, incredible harmonic response, increased low end, and crisp, clear highs.

Cobalt provides a stronger magnetic relationship between pickups and strings than any other alloy previously available. Cobalt Slinkys are also soft and silky to the touch, making string bending a breeze."
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 06-07-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    One Life

I had them on my stripper for quite awhile. Like the tone a lot. They seemed loud and alive. They feel a kinda weird, not as smooth as "regular" strings. They seemed to last a long time. In the end, I can't see using them on many of my guitars because I change strings frequently on guitars I gig with. But maybe on some guitars I keep around the house.

I put them on my jazzbox and I noticed them being clearer and louder, but I also picked a heavier gauge, so I can't really make any definitive conclusions. I will put some of my Custom 22 soon, so I can really see what the difference is...

I have them on all my guitars right now. Much fuller tone and louder. Not sure how long they last because I'm still on the first sets. They do feel different and as Slash said, "buttery." My wife says they bend easier. She was using 9s so she could bend and switched to 10s with the Cobalts.
    PRS Custom 24 Fender SRV Strat Fender Clapton Strat Gibson LP Studio Parker Fly Deluxe
    Egnater Tweaker Wampler Pedals
    I don't have a playing style unless you consider "freakin' hack" a style.

They went on both my Cu24 and SE One immediately after their release. Gigged them both for about a month. Initial thoughts: instantly noticeable power difference...like raising the pup a couple of screw turns. The feel is different. Not 'bad' different, just different. Seemed to polish my calluses almost to a shine. I wouldn't call them brighter, but with more presence. A bit of slitting hairs there, but for the same reason I tweak presence instead of treble, sometimes...if that makes sense. Cobalts don't seem to age, even after a month of gigging and daily playing. No apparent crap accumulation, discoloration or rusting - even if I don't wipe them down after a hard gig. Over all...these are fantastic strings! The freakin' rock with the P-90.

Then I got complacent and wondered if I imagined some/most of the differences. Off went the Cobalts and back on went the D'Addario 10s on the One and 9s on the Cu24. Instant disappointment. Sounded flatter, weaker. Not wanting to waste a new set of strings, I giged them once but had to put Cobalts back on immediately. I'm hooked.

My skepticism was washed away with genuine results. The power 'thing' is real. Bolder, more powerful but not adversely so. The feel is not a biggie once you get used to it. And the life of these strings is unsurpassed, IMO. If the price comes down to 2x the price of normal strings, they will become a household name. But even at 3x premium, they are a justified upgrade that I would endorse. In fact, EB, I use both 9s and 10s. PM me for my mailing address.

I just picked up a set. Now I need to decide where to try them 1st.

2011 Siggy, BRW McCarty w/ 57/08's, SAS w/ 53/10's, SCT ME w/ 59/09's, or Westy w/ uncovered 59/09's?
    One Life

Cool

What Boogie said...
    I put them on my Mira and instantly noticed a nice improvement in feel and presence.
    Now I'm going to put them on my 305 and the SE ONE as well. I've heard some people find a larger improvement on humbuckers than single coils. We shall see...
    2001 PRS McRosie Violin Amber Sunburst Abalone birdies
    2008 PRS Mira Vintage Orange with old MOP birdies
    2009 PRS 305 Tri Colour Burst
    2009 PRS SE ONE autographed by Dweezil Zappa
    2011 PRS H combo amp

Just found a store that had the gauge I was looking for (12's) and look forward to putting them on my McCarty Hollowbody. I was shocked at how insistent the employees were that these were skinny top heavy bottom strings. Big difference.
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

Quote Originally Posted by solacematt View Post
    Just found a store that had the gauge I was looking for (12's) and look forward to putting them on my McCarty Hollowbody. I was shocked at how insistent the employees were that these were skinny top heavy bottom strings. Big difference.
    Tonally or literally (string guage).
    One Life

I forgot to mention that this sound great when playing slide!

Is Ernie Ball the only one making them?
    Authorized WD Music Products Dealer
    Authorized TonePros Dealer
    F/A Official Southpaw Compliance Certification Tester @ http://faamps.com/

I did not lose my mind, I traded it for this guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    12-54
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

I wouldn't characterize Cobalts as tonally skinny top/heavy bottom at all. In fact, I had a hybrid set that I didn't like on my One. Went back to straight 10s.

Quote Originally Posted by CAFeathers View Post
    Is Ernie Ball the only one making them?
    They're the only one's I've seen. So far...

Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 06-07-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    One Life

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    ClearTone makes a claim that they are louder as well...haven't used them personally, but anyone compare them?
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2014 SE Zach Myers | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Here are the different versions of Cobalt strings from EB. I was surprised to see so many options.

Extra Slinky

Super Slinky

Hybrid Slinky

Regular Slinky

Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Slinky

Beefy Slinky

Power Slinky

Not Even Slinky (for drop tuning)

And there is a series for us Bass Player's too,
    Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ; 06-07-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    One Life

I'm using the regulars. I agree with a previous post that the tone difference is more noticable on humbuckers. Don't know that I would put them on the strat again because of the added cost.
    PRS Custom 24 Fender SRV Strat Fender Clapton Strat Gibson LP Studio Parker Fly Deluxe
    Egnater Tweaker Wampler Pedals
    I don't have a playing style unless you consider "freakin' hack" a style.

I'm very curious about these so I just ordered some regular and hybrid.
    Authorized WD Music Products Dealer
    Authorized TonePros Dealer
    F/A Official Southpaw Compliance Certification Tester @ http://faamps.com/

I did not lose my mind, I traded it for this guitar!

Anything but EB........................

Not Even Slinky (for drop tuning)
    Looking forward to putting these on my McCarty Hollowbody tonight