View Poll Results: What's your favorite type of PRS pickup selector?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-way (Strat like)

12 32.43%
  • 3-way Toggle (ala Les Paul)

13 35.14%
  • 5-way Rotary (original flavor PRS)

12 32.43%

Thread: Switch Preferences

Switch Preferences

Hi Folks

I've just got a my first PRS Cu24. It has the 5-way pickup selector. The positioning of it certainly not bad - but it's not as convenient as a standard strat's switch location. I was wondering from folks if they have a preference in the switch types that come w/ PRS and why... 5-way, toggle, or rotary....?

3 way toggle and push/pull...

The 3-way is a quicker "on the fly" switch for me... I don't have to think "am I in position 4?"

Push/pull isn't something I do mid-song very often... it's either humbucker or split.... so I do it and leave it there til I change settings....

I have this configuration on almost all of my guitars....

Siggy-switching gets my vote. But it isn't on the poll.

Seems to my that Jeff (MartySnarf) got the Siggy-Switching mod on his CU24.
    One Life

Rotary 4 Life.

Quote Originally Posted by lookslikemeband View Post
    3 way toggle and push/pull...

The 3-way is a quicker "on the fly" switch for me... I don't have to think "am I in position 4?"

Push/pull isn't something I do mid-song very often... it's either humbucker or split.... so I do it and leave it there til I change settings....

I have this configuration on almost all of my guitars....
    +1. A lot less thinking, and hand motion involved. With the switch, you can hit it mid stroke and keep moving. Frequently during solos I will switch between the neck and bridge. Rarely, if ever, do I split coils mid song.

I prefer the 5 way switch. It's easy, you always know where you are, and it works. I hate the push pulls, very hard to pull up when your hands are a little slippery.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    I must admit I like the switching on my Mira the best - the three-way blade is solid, and having the mini-switch for the coil toggle is alot more convenient than a push-pull
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2013 CU24 | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

5 way rotary (well, at least on a Cu24). The best sounds. I love the funky, quirky, sometimes frustrating bastid!

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    I voted for my second choice, which is the 'Les Paul' style. But my favorite is the DGT. I really like having a volume control for each pickup. Beyond that, coil splitters and phase switches are great - but not mandatory - bonuses to me.

Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 06-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

McCarty three-way with push/pull coil tap, and 408 switching are my favorite on a PRS.

3 way is my preference..................... but, I really don't care!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

For live use, I prefer the 3-way push-pull, but my favorite is the original 5-way.

Wait, we ARE talking about switches here, right?

3-way toggle & push-pull works for me.
    2007 Singlecut Satin Artist Pack Emerald Green
    2007 Tremonti SE Rhodesian Ridgeback (modded beyond the point of sanity)
    + some other gear

Quote Originally Posted by soundbee View Post
    Hi Folks

I've just got a my first PRS Cu24. It has the 5-way pickup selector. The positioning of it certainly not bad - but it's not as convenient as a standard strat's switch location. I was wondering from folks if they have a preference in the switch types that come w/ PRS and why... 5-way, toggle, or rotary....?
    I think the people who complain the most about the 5-way rotary being difficult who prefer the blade switch is because of the fact they played strats first and are used to it. I can't stand strats because they are so thin sounding and was always a 3-way toggle person thanks to the Gibson's I played over the years. When I got a CU24 I found the rotary refreshing and very easy to use. I'm also the singer and sole guitarist in my band so I can't see how people who are noodlers or guys who just play guitar and don't have to sing can talk about how it's so difficult really. The 5-way rotary is such a cool and innovative tool from PRS
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow