View Poll Results: What's your favorite type of PRS pickup selector?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-way (Strat like)

    18 32.73%
  • 3-way Toggle (ala Les Paul)

    24 43.64%
  • 5-way Rotary (original flavor PRS)

    13 23.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Switch Preferences

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    85

    Switch Preferences

    Hi Folks

    I've just got a my first PRS Cu24. It has the 5-way pickup selector. The positioning of it certainly not bad - but it's not as convenient as a standard strat's switch location. I was wondering from folks if they have a preference in the switch types that come w/ PRS and why... 5-way, toggle, or rotary....?

  2. #2
    3 way toggle and push/pull...


    The 3-way is a quicker "on the fly" switch for me... I don't have to think "am I in position 4?"

    Push/pull isn't something I do mid-song very often... it's either humbucker or split.... so I do it and leave it there til I change settings....



    I have this configuration on almost all of my guitars....

  3. #3
    Siggy-switching gets my vote. But it isn't on the poll.

    Seems to my that Jeff (MartySnarf) got the Siggy-Switching mod on his CU24.
    One Life

  4. #4
    Senior Member sergiodeblanc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove Il.
    Posts
    8,015
    Rotary 4 Life.

  5. #5
    Wheels cjmwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL.
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by lookslikemeband View Post
    3 way toggle and push/pull...


    The 3-way is a quicker "on the fly" switch for me... I don't have to think "am I in position 4?"

    Push/pull isn't something I do mid-song very often... it's either humbucker or split.... so I do it and leave it there til I change settings....



    I have this configuration on almost all of my guitars....
    +1. A lot less thinking, and hand motion involved. With the switch, you can hit it mid stroke and keep moving. Frequently during solos I will switch between the neck and bridge. Rarely, if ever, do I split coils mid song.

  6. #6
    I prefer the 5 way switch. It's easy, you always know where you are, and it works. I hate the push pulls, very hard to pull up when your hands are a little slippery.

  7. #7
    Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,117
    I must admit I like the switching on my Mira the best - the three-way blade is solid, and having the mini-switch for the coil toggle is alot more convenient than a push-pull
    1990, 91, & 92 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2004 & 05 SE EGs
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited x2
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24
    2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow | 2015 S2 Vela

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    MD.
    Posts
    317
    5 way rotary (well, at least on a Cu24). The best sounds. I love the funky, quirky, sometimes frustrating bastid!

  9. #9
    A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texxas, USA
    Posts
    4,318
    I voted for my second choice, which is the 'Les Paul' style. But my favorite is the DGT. I really like having a volume control for each pickup. Beyond that, coil splitters and phase switches are great - but not mandatory - bonuses to me.

    Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 06-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    'No... Look away... I'm hideous!' - Cosmo Kramer

  10. #10
    Senior Member RedGuitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    795
    McCarty three-way with push/pull coil tap, and 408 switching are my favorite on a PRS.
    ___________
    Mike Cantrell

  11. #11
    DEEPER STRIATIONS markie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,271
    3 way is my preference..................... but, I really don't care!
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

  12. #12
    SuperD Boogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indy, IN
    Posts
    1,727
    For live use, I prefer the 3-way push-pull, but my favorite is the original 5-way.

    Wait, we ARE talking about switches here, right?

  13. #13
    Junior Member ArtG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    the other side of the pond
    Posts
    78
    3-way toggle & push-pull works for me.
    2007 Singlecut Satin Artist Pack Emerald Green
    2007 Tremonti SE Rhodesian Ridgeback (modded beyond the point of sanity)
    + some other gear

  14. #14
    Senior Member solacematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by soundbee View Post
    Hi Folks

    I've just got a my first PRS Cu24. It has the 5-way pickup selector. The positioning of it certainly not bad - but it's not as convenient as a standard strat's switch location. I was wondering from folks if they have a preference in the switch types that come w/ PRS and why... 5-way, toggle, or rotary....?
    I think the people who complain the most about the 5-way rotary being difficult who prefer the blade switch is because of the fact they played strats first and are used to it. I can't stand strats because they are so thin sounding and was always a 3-way toggle person thanks to the Gibson's I played over the years. When I got a CU24 I found the rotary refreshing and very easy to use. I'm also the singer and sole guitarist in my band so I can't see how people who are noodlers or guys who just play guitar and don't have to sing can talk about how it's so difficult really. The 5-way rotary is such a cool and innovative tool from PRS
    Scattered Light - My Band Scattered Light - 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    69
    The push/pull knob on my SE custom 24 was almost impossible for me to pull up so I did the following mod.
    I put the knob in a small lathe chuck and cut a channel, into and around the outer diameter, centered about 1/8”, below the top of the knob. The channel is about 3/32“ wide X 3/64“ deep. I put a 3/32“ thick X 13/16” inner diameter soft rubber O ring, which is a snug fit, in the channel. This leaves a little more than half, of the O ring’s thickness, sticking out of the knob and now it is is very easy to pull up.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by solacematt View Post
    I think the people who complain the most about the 5-way rotary being difficult who prefer the blade switch is because of the fact they played strats first and are used to it. I can't stand strats because they are so thin sounding and was always a 3-way toggle person thanks to the Gibson's I played over the years. When I got a CU24 I found the rotary refreshing and very easy to use. I'm also the singer and sole guitarist in my band so I can't see how people who are noodlers or guys who just play guitar and don't have to sing can talk about how it's so difficult really. The 5-way rotary is such a cool and innovative tool from PRS
    I don't think that's really true. I prefer the 5-way and was a Gibson player before getting my first PRS (back in 1991 and it had a rotary by the way). I don't like playing Strats at all, but the switch idea on a Strat is a good one.

    I'm a guy who mostly plays in the studio, and I do it professionally. Sure it's easy for me to do another take with the switch in a different position. However, there are times when I have the flow going, and I've got a really great take happening, and I want to make that switch happen at a particular point in the track.

    And if I'm on a rotary, and if I have no idea where the hell I am, it takes longer, and I lose the flow. And the take is useless. That's frustrating! The same thing happens with the damned pull-up knob, and sometimes you have to use the toggle and the knob for one pickup switching change. Also frustrating!

    So for a player like me, who was not a Fender player at all, and who does not sing, the rotary and the toggle-plus-pull-up-knob are choices that get in the way of the flow.

    Nonetheless, for the right instrument, neither would be a deal-breaker, and my current CU24 30th is the version with the toggle and the damn pull-up knob that my fingers slip off of, and I still love it more than life itself.

    Preferences are one thing, love is another. And there's no 'splainin' love!!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  17. #17
    Senior Member 11top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,038
    Toggle w pp
    Sh*tter's full

  18. #18
    Senior Member CatStrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    Siggy-switching gets my vote. But it isn't on the poll.
    mine too.

  19. #19
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Creve Coeur, MO
    Posts
    6,017
    3 way toggle and push pull on a PRS.
    Plank Owner

  20. #20
    Senior Member django49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    213
    Push/push rather than push/pull can make it easier to change on the fly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •