Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Fast Fret and Finger Ease

  1. #1
    Junior Member tyt921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    81

    Fast Fret and Finger Ease

    Anyone tried any of these products? I am 'planning' to get both or if possible just get away with buying 1 of them for my acidic hands solution. Are these products any good?

    I have tried D'addarios EXL's and Ernie Balls. I will give EB Cobalts a try. If they dont work I will actually spend 14 bucks on some elixirs
    Last edited by tyt921; 07-01-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    AMP: Blackstar ID:15 TVP
    Guitar: PRS SE Custom 24

  2. #2
    I do not have acidic hands but I do like fast fret. It keeps the strings clean and fast. It can make nasty strings usable in a pinch. I also use it to clean my fret board.
    PRS believer.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    869
    Used to love Finger Ease, but then grew to hate it. Just stopped using it and never looked back.

  4. #4
    Senior Member solacematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    716
    Been using GHS fast fret for 15 years. Good stuff
    Scattered Light - My Band Scattered Light - 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

  5. #5
    Fast Fret is mostly plain ol' mineral oil. All it does is add more junk to your strings and fingerboard.

    Mineral oil builds up, attracts dirt, and except for making things shiny, doesn't do anything good for strings or fingerboard. I'd never, ever use it.

    Please check, but I'm informed that the other is mostly silicone, another thing that I'd never use on my fingerboard.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-01-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member Michael B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Saratoga Springs New York
    Posts
    1,002
    Yeah...I wouldn't put either of those on my guitars...just change your strings
    2010 Black cherry 10 Top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti Modded by PTC DGT frets/signed by PRS
    2012 FBJB 10 top Tremonti-signed by Tremonti
    2012 Tremonti CustomSE Grey/Black heavily modded, DGT frets and nut at PTC
    2014 ARCHON

  7. #7
    Junior Member tyt921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    81
    sigh....my strings rot within hours...and become unusable after 2 days. I cant change strings every 2 days...lol

    Nomad: what did you not like about finger ease the spray? let me know!
    Last edited by tyt921; 07-01-2014 at 09:09 PM.
    AMP: Blackstar ID:15 TVP
    Guitar: PRS SE Custom 24

  8. #8
    Get the fookin' elixirs and don't waste your dough on snake oil.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  9. #9
    PRS Addiction CoreyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Auburn, WA. USA
    Posts
    3,829
    I must have dry non acidic hands, as I still have the same set of EB Cobalts on my SE Santana I got summer of 2012.
    Yep, two years and they are still looking and sounding great.
    I have only changed out a few guitars, and my 408 still has the same set of Cobalts from May of 2013 on it, along with my SE Tremonti Custom I got November of 2012.

    Have changed them on my Gibson SG and my SE Custom 24, but that is it.
    They really did not need changing, but I wanted to see how the locking Autotrim tuners worked when changing strings.

  10. #10
    Junior Member tyt921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    81
    Guy, quick update. I bought them Elixirs and finally tried them. Strings didnt go rusting on me even after an hour or play. They look very clean and shiny even after a few days. I just bought my second pack in case of emergencies on ebay for 10 bucks shipped. If this really works out, I will order through bulk of 6 for 47 bucks shipped. I am VERY relieved that I went with these strings. On the market, these are literally only things I can use now. I might be interested to try the DHS boomers though but seeing how they are basically the same price as Elixirs, I dont think I will need to try them out. Thanks folks! I did however use my remaining ebay bucks and got Fast Fret. I will try it sparingly overtime to see if it has effects on my fretboard or strings!
    AMP: Blackstar ID:15 TVP
    Guitar: PRS SE Custom 24

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by tyt921 View Post
    Guy, quick update. I bought them Elixirs and finally tried them. Strings didnt go rusting on me even after an hour or play. They look very clean and shiny even after a few days. I just bought my second pack in case of emergencies on ebay for 10 bucks shipped. If this really works out, I will order through bulk of 6 for 47 bucks shipped. I am VERY relieved that I went with these strings. On the market, these are literally only things I can use now. I might be interested to try the DHS boomers though but seeing how they are basically the same price as Elixirs, I dont think I will need to try them out. Thanks folks! I did however use my remaining ebay bucks and got Fast Fret. I will try it sparingly overtime to see if it has effects on my fretboard or strings!
    Just an FYI, but Elixir's FAQ says "it is not necessary or beneficial to use a string lubricant with Elixir strings."

    They specifically say Fast Fret will do nothing in another FAQ.

    Of course, no one listens to me...
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  12. #12
    Junior Member tyt921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Just an FYI, but Elixir's FAQ says "it is not necessary or beneficial to use a string lubricant with Elixir strings."

    They specifically say Fast Fret will do nothing in another FAQ.

    Of course, no one listens to me...
    lol Les,

    Well now that you mentioned it. I can see how it will do nothing, because there's already a coating there and the oil will just remain on top of the strings until it goes onto the fret board. Anyway, it was basically free from my ebay cash back points. Glad to have those! Now lets see how long I can use these strings. That guy from youtube, Scott Grove stated that his Elixirs lasted him 13 years on his strat, never changed and they STILL sound good lol. Not sure about that statement, but I am starting to be a believer for Elixirs!!!!!
    AMP: Blackstar ID:15 TVP
    Guitar: PRS SE Custom 24

  13. #13
    Senior Member jfine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Posts
    340
    I used to use all sorts of stuff to try and make my strings last longer. FingerEase I can't stand--it kills my strings worse than my finger oils do, and that's saying something! In the early '70's, Guitar Player Magazine ran an interview with John Cipollina (Quicksilver Messenger Service)--one of my favorite players--and he mentioned that he wiped down his strings with something called Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Solvent. I tried it--the only time in my life I've ever been in a gun store--and it gunked up my fingerboard something fierce. I've tried Maxima gold-plated strings from Germany--I used to be able to get a week out of those--but they got so expensive that I couldn't afford them any more. Elixirs do it for me--I've had the same set on my DC145 for the last four years! I guess I should change them, but I'm not gigging these days, so they don't get as much use as they used to.
    The late great Danny Gatton liked the sound of dead strings--apparently he used to wipe them down with a mixture of cigarette ashes and beer. Yuck--not for me!
    Last edited by jfine; 07-09-2014 at 04:15 AM.

  14. #14
    Raven Lunatic Raven17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    854
    I've been using Elixers for years and can't stand to play anything else. It's funny what you get used to.
    2014Private Stock Modern Eagle Brazzy,'06 Tremonti Tribal #75,'13 SC245 Artist,'15 CU24 Artist,'12 Custom 22 Artist,'15 Waring Sig 10Top, '12 Tremonti one-off,2007/13 McCarty Korina,'13 408 10Top, '11 Custom24 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'13 Tremonti SE with \m/ pups and lots of upgrades ,EVH 5150 combo, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles beyond counting

  15. #15
    Junior Member tyt921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    81
    Wellpz, there you have it. I am too now a firm believer of Elixirs. Anyone tried the legendary strings Pyramids? I aint gonna buy them because they cost like 35 bucks per set! But just curious what others have to say about them.
    AMP: Blackstar ID:15 TVP
    Guitar: PRS SE Custom 24

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26
    Back when I was first learning to play, I trashed strings after a single jam session. Gunk build up, they would rust, etc. It was so bad that I gave up playing guitar for a long time...10 years. My hands sweat a lot AND I have acidic sweat. So I know where you are coming from.

    When I did take up playing again, I tried fast fret and finger ease. They didn't really help. I tried different types of strings...including stainless steel! All they did was wear down my frets - they were horrible though they did last longer. For years, I switched to heavier guage strings - 11s. That helped, but wasn't perfect.

    Today, I am back to using nickel wound 10's on my guitars, Daddario XLs and more recently Earnie Ball. I change my strings faithfully every month - which means a good 15-20 hours of solid playing on them. The way I get a full month out of them. What I do is after EVERY time I play, I wipe the strings down with string cleaner/lubricant that came with my Gibson guitar maintenance kit. I wet a small rag and grab each string and wipe up and down 3 or 4 times - tops and bottoms. My strings still tarnish quickly, but they sound fine and tune well right up to the end. I'm finding I perfer my strings once they've tarnished a bit because I can grab them easier for bends.
    Rich
    Gear: 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, 2000 American Standard Stratocaster, 2011 Faded Les Paul Studio, 2001 Seagull S6 Acoustic, Peavey ValveKing 112 amp, Zoom G5 (No PRS at the moment).

  17. #17
    Senior Member LJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    525
    I use Fast Fret all the time, to clean my strings after I've been playing for a while (sometimes before). I don't push it into the fretboard, and I never get any kind of "build up". I love the effect, strings play super quick and feel effortless. The strings seem cleaner, prolonged chimey life. It's like wiping more notes into your guitar.

  18. #18
    Junior Member tyt921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    Back when I was first learning to play, I trashed strings after a single jam session. Gunk build up, they would rust, etc. It was so bad that I gave up playing guitar for a long time...10 years. My hands sweat a lot AND I have acidic sweat. So I know where you are coming from.

    When I did take up playing again, I tried fast fret and finger ease. They didn't really help. I tried different types of strings...including stainless steel! All they did was wear down my frets - they were horrible though they did last longer. For years, I switched to heavier guage strings - 11s. That helped, but wasn't perfect.

    Today, I am back to using nickel wound 10's on my guitars, Daddario XLs and more recently Earnie Ball. I change my strings faithfully every month - which means a good 15-20 hours of solid playing on them. The way I get a full month out of them. What I do is after EVERY time I play, I wipe the strings down with string cleaner/lubricant that came with my Gibson guitar maintenance kit. I wet a small rag and grab each string and wipe up and down 3 or 4 times - tops and bottoms. My strings still tarnish quickly, but they sound fine and tune well right up to the end. I'm finding I perfer my strings once they've tarnished a bit because I can grab them easier for bends.
    Glad to know there are others who experience this. The stress that plays into all of this is immense and people who dont rust/oxidate, tarnish strings quick are just so so fortunate. But now that I found elixirs, they have been staying pretty clean and shiney, of course I now wash my hands and wipe them down as well after and before play...so far no tarnishing...I also found that the oxidation was eating my frets HARD especially when I do bends. They just rip through them. Theres a solid scrap mark across the frets, and if i take my finger and rub on it, its sharp enough to make my fingers feel the flat edge it was grinding on.. Its a good thing i was playing really hard only on my Starter crappy guitar...my prs I baby it like it was my own child...it rarely gets plays.
    AMP: Blackstar ID:15 TVP
    Guitar: PRS SE Custom 24

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by tyt921 View Post
    Wellpz, there you have it. I am too now a firm believer of Elixirs. Anyone tried the legendary strings Pyramids? I aint gonna buy them because they cost like 35 bucks per set! But just curious what others have to say about them.
    They sound good, though more traditional perhaps than some others. However, you'd go through 'em pretty fast I'm guessing with your hands.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

    Website: http://www.elfxi.com

  20. #20
    Junior Member tyt921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    However, you'd go through 'em pretty fast I'm guessing with your hands.
    lol.
    AMP: Blackstar ID:15 TVP
    Guitar: PRS SE Custom 24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •