Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Consummation of a Plan

So here's the report: this cab improves the tone of my DG30 by about ten zillion percent.

According to my sources, that's a whole lot.

It's a very sweet sounding cab, even with new V-30s, something I attribute to both the design of the cab with the twin ports, and the fact that it's solid pine instead of birch ply.

The second piece of news I have to report is that as soon as I took it out of the box, I put a nice ding on the bottom near the front edge carrying it down the stairs to my studio. Was I ever pissed at myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy94 View Post
    Wow. Beautiful DG.

Honestly Ive never seen a company put real wood(let alone an expensive tonewood) on the front of an amp.

Yet another way PRS rises above all else. Take THAT Fender.
    Dr. Z, Komet, and a few others have been putting real wood on amps for a long time, But PRS does a really sweet job with it, don't they?
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-07-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    So here's the report: this cab improves the tone of my DG30 by about ten zillion percent.
    I'm guessing it wasn't a real improvement because I've heard several of your clips and know differently. You have a new mega-hella awesome tone.
    ...I attribute to both the design of the cab with the twin ports, and the fact that it's solid pine instead of birch ply.
    The pine construction is key and know that first hand. I've been warned, by reliable sources, to never try the ported 2x12 or I'll involuntarily hand over my AmEx.

...I put a nice ding on the bottom near the front edge carrying it down the stairs to my studio. Was I ever pissed at myself!
    That's a love bump. Now it's yours.

Congrats on the new addition. I'd love to hear about the side-by-side analysis...Mesa 2x12 vs. the DG. Inquiring minds and all.
    Last edited by Boogie; 07-07-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

I'm no speaker expert, but I really didn't figure DG for the V30 type, I figured he'd be playing greenbacks or alnicos or something. But PRS really seems to favor the V30's with a lot of their amps. The fact that certain amps and cabs/speakers are designed to work together has made noticeable differences in my experience as well. I guess it just goes to show, sometimes there's more to an amp than just the sum of its parts!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    Congrats on the new addition. I'd love to hear about the side-by-side analysis...Mesa 2x12 vs. the DG. Inquiring minds and all.
    Or the HXDA with the DG cab... just for fun. And contradictory to what I just said, but really, can we help ourselves from trying?

Nah.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

I'm guessing it wasn't a real improvement because I've heard several of your clips and know differently. You have a new mega-hella awesome tone.
    The pine construction is key and know that first hand. I've been warned, by reliable sources, to never try the ported 2x12 or I'll involuntarily hand over my AmEx.
    Thanks for the compliment, seriously, but the DG through the Mesa cab is a bit too percussive due to the closed back design, and the very punchy nature of the amp.

I get ear fatigue after a relatively short time with DG>>Mesa.

The DG>DG Cab is a much more balanced sound, and it really does sound a lot better to me. It's a gigantic improvement.

That's a love bump. Now it's yours.
    I wish I thought like you! I'm far too OCD.

Boogie and Andy, I will do some comparison clips in the next few days with both cabs, and of course, I'll try out the DG cab with the HXDA and also report back or do a clip, or both.

Bangin'! Can't wait to hear it.

I'm hoping you'll share some Disco Les tones just for me.

Sounds like it's killer! I know DG sounds kingly through his. WANT.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Bangin'! Can't wait to hear it.

I'm hoping you'll share some Disco Les tones just for me.
    Hmmmm....gotta wait for the 408 to come home from the PTC for that one!

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Sounds like it's killer! I know DG sounds kingly through his. WANT.
    If you like the DG tones, believe me, this is the combination to own. And the nice thing is that it won't duplicate anything you already have in your fort!

Very cool! Looking forward to the clips and hopefully a pic. I think that amp and cabinet looks so classy. Red is also my favorite color, and I love Red Velvet Cake and that's what this amp reminds me of!

Although that means if I ever get one I'll have to have the cabinet too! LOL. RIght now I have a 412 old Marshall JCM straight cab with 75 watt Celestions (G12T-75s).
    -Austin-

PRS Custom 24 10 Top Fire Red Burst with 57/08s
    PRS Korina McCarty Soapbar BRW Board Vintage Cherry with P90s
    PRS SE Custom 22 Grey Black with Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    I'm no speaker expert, but I really didn't figure DG for the V30 type, I figured he'd be playing greenbacks or alnicos or something. But PRS really seems to favor the V30's with a lot of their amps. The fact that certain amps and cabs/speakers are designed to work together has made noticeable differences in my experience as well. I guess it just goes to show, sometimes there's more to an amp than just the sum of its parts!
    I know, right??!! It took quite a bit of play testing for me to believe that the PRS 2x12 pine cab wasn't just a "me too" offering. The first test was at Willcutt's and the test room was WAY too small to properly let the amp breathe and let the cab sing. It sounded pretty much like every other V30 cab I've tried. But in a real-world environment, it shows it's real character and how it's the magical mate to my amp. There's just something about it. The more difficult quest was finding a 1x12 equivalent cab. And after trying about a dozen different combinations, I ended up with an empty 1x12 PRS closed back combo cab (probably for a Sweet 16) with a V30. Gigged it again last weekend and couldn't be happier. Surprised, but happy!
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by prsrocker1988 View Post
    Very cool! Looking forward to the clips and hopefully a pic. I think that amp and cabinet looks so classy. Red is also my favorite color, and I love Red Velvet Cake and that's what this amp reminds me of!.
    They do look classy, though the way I have my stuff set up on stands and risers for recording, the amp head doesn't sit on top of the cab. So it's not a cool-looking setup like most folks would imagine.

I know, right??!! It took quite a bit of play testing for me to believe that the PRS 2x12 pine cab wasn't just a "me too" offering. The first test was at Willcutt's and the test room was WAY too small to properly let the amp breathe and let the cab sing. It sounded pretty much like every other V30 cab I've tried. But in a real-world environment, it shows it's real character and how it's the magical mate to my amp. There's just something about it. The more difficult quest was finding a 1x12 equivalent cab. And after trying about a dozen different combinations, I ended up with an empty 1x12 PRS closed back combo cab (probably for a Sweet 16) with a V30. Gigged it again last weekend and couldn't be happier. Surprised, but happy!
    I'm impressed enough with the improvement via this DG cab that I'm actually thinking of buying a pine PRS 2x12 for my HXDA. And I say this as a person who really loves Mesa cabs (that's what I'm currently using with the HXDA).

Then again, I'm also considering adding a Rivera Silent Sister to the recording arsenal so...maybe I need to slow things down for a bit.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-08-2014 at 12:38 PM.

I'm impressed enough with the improvement via this DG cab that I'm actually thinking of buying a pine PRS 2x12 for my HXDA. And I say this as a person who really loves Mesa cabs (that's what I'm currently using with the HXDA).
    I was the poster child for M/B's half-back cabs for 20+ years. Still love them, but one open chord thru the SuperD with the pine 2x12 made me a believer. HUGE deal for me.

Then again, I'm also considering adding a Rivera Silent Sister to the recording arsenal so...maybe I need to slow things down for a bit.
    I think Hippie Tim has one for sale right now. Check out his thread at VR.

So I couldn't resist trying the HXDA with the DG cab and while it's not bad, it's also not a combination I would record with. The HXDA needs the punch of a closed back cab, and sounds kind of strange with a ported cab with sound coming out of the back as well as the front. The DG head works best with the ported DG cab that was designed for it.

And ne'er the twain shall meet.

Fun trying, though. I will definitely think about a closed back pine PRS cab for the HXDA.

If you like the DG tones, believe me, this is the combination to own. And the nice thing is that it won't duplicate anything you already have in your fort!
    Not much left in the fort. It needed an overhaul for refinement. A DG head/cab is on the amp list with high priority as part of that process.
    Plank Owner

Not much left in the fort. It needed an overhaul for refinement. A DG head/cab is on the amp list with high priority as part of that process.
    What left, what stayed, and why?

I always love talking about this stuff.

Yeah, Jessie, what's cookin' at your cave?

Every so often I go through a gear purge. It seemed like it was time. This round was the most intense yet. I sold almost everything. The amps are listed here. I could talk about each one individually, but the short of it is the Shiva 20th was the most well rounded of the bunch to my ears/hands. The matching cabinet works well with it so it stayed.

Left -
    Orange 4x12
    PRS 4x12
    Bogner 2x12 (I had two)
    EVH 50 watt head
    Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet head
    Bogner Shiva EL34 with verb head (newer version)
    Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII head

Stayed -
    Bogner Shiva 20th with verb head
    Bogner Shiva 1x12

Yeah, Jessie, what's cookin' at your cave?
    I kept the Shiva 20th rig. I was happy with the above gear and could do any of it again to be honest. I would like to play the DG30/50 with a DG cabinet. I think I'd like one enough to make a purchase. I would follow that up with a small DG inspired board to go with it. I have some other amp GAS which involves Friedman, Morgan, and Bogner. The list is unusually short right now believe it or not.

Plank Owner

Every so often I go through a gear purge. It seemed like it was time. This round was the most intense yet. I sold almost everything. The amps are listed here. I could talk about each one individually, but the short of it is the Shiva 20th was the most well rounded of the bunch to my ears/hands. The matching cabinet works well with it so it stayed.

Left -
    Orange 4x12
    PRS 4x12
    Bogner 2x12 (I had two)
    EVH 50 watt head
    Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet head
    Bogner Shiva EL34 with verb head (newer version)
    Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII head

Stayed -
    Bogner Shiva 1x12

I kept the Shiva 20th rig. I was happy with the above gear and could do any of it again to be honest. I would like to play the DG30/50 with a DG cabinet. I think I'd like one enough to make a purchase. I would follow that up with a small DG inspired board to go with it. I have some other amp GAS which involves Friedman, Morgan, and Bogner. The list is unusually short right now believe it or not.

I go through purges, too; usually they're associated with need to concentrate resources on other studio gear. Sometimes I'll sell something to get into some gear I really feel I need for my work.

Not that it's any of my business, but of all the gear you sold and kept, I think you made a good choice. The Shiva is definitely the most well-rounded of that amp list, and can do about anything.

Stayed -
    Bogner Shiva 1x12
    Excellent choice.

I go through purges, too; usually they're associated with need to concentrate resources on other studio gear. Sometimes I'll sell something to get into some gear I really feel I need for my work.

Not that it's any of my business, but of all the gear you sold and kept, I think you made a good choice. The Shiva is definitely the most well-rounded of that amp list, and can do about anything.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Excellent choice.
    I think you'd dig one.
    Plank Owner