Thread: NGD my two new PRS's

NGD my two new PRS's

Not a honest NGD as I got both of them a few weeks ago but nevermind!

After playing a Custom22 fire red for a year, I felt the urge to get a thinner neck and 2 extra frets. With my band, I usually play tons of stuff that requires those extra 2 frets.
    So I managed to sold the 22 and quickly got a killer deal on this cu24
    This is a Custom 24 in Black Amber Burst, 59/09 pickups, Phase III tuners built in 2012

PRS Custom 24 Black Amber Burst
    The neck is a pattern thin, and honestly it just feels amazing. It's slightly rounder than the wide thin (or at least, that's what I felt).
    The color is lovely and it's the first time I get such a 'classic' color for a prs but I'm very happy with it. Kinda reminds me the honeyburst I had on a 2002 Gibson Standard back in 2007.

I'm going to install a BKP Nailbomb set today, so I'll report with sound clips as soon as I swap them
    The guitar is tuned to DAFCGC and sports Ernie Ball 11-54 strings

Other mods I did are:

• Gold hardware kit and screws and ebony tuner buttons. It just looks like an artist edition now!
    • Mannmade Hybrid Custom Bridge - looks and feels amazing, slightly more 'open' than the standard us bridge, that's amazing aswell though.
    • I also installed a Tremol NO as I just do dive bombs sometimes, so I put the tremol no in float only mode, and it also helps with tuning stability.
    • Gold schaller strap locks

Anyway, here's some pictures

Other pictures:
    - https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...21951705_n.jpg
    - https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...03236199_n.jpg
    - https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...58908165_n.jpg

----------------

PRS SE Custom 24 Dave Navarro
    Short story: in addition to my main US prs, I had to get a 2nd guitar to play in DAFCGA (a tuning I use alot). I was tempted to get a Lowery, but ultimately found a killer deal on a used Navarro CU24 (the newer model with push pull, bevelled top and rosewood fretboard).
    This guitar always 'spoke' to me everytime I tried her. I was just enjoying the hell out of it everytime I had the chance to play this masterpiece (quite underrated too as far as I can see around), it was simple and just rocked.
    When I got it, the gold hardware on the bridge was rusted pretty badly, like the guitar experienced a 3 days bath into corrosive salt.
    And suddenly I knew I had to mod the heck out of it to make it gig-worthy and reliable.
    I ordered tons of stuff from the great John Mann Guitar Vault and started to mod it

The upgrades are the following:

• - NUT swapped with a properly cut PRS USA nut
    • - Tuners swapped with PRS Phase II nickel locking tuners
    • - Bridge swapped with a PRS USA Bridge (this is actually my former PRS Amber Black bridge!!), nickel finish
    • - Everything left in gold has been swapped with chrome/nickel parts. I just find that gold on white is clumsy.
    • - PRS USA pickup rings
    • - pickups are stock! I just put two humbucker covers on them
    • - Schaller straplock (chrome)

So here it is: pretty classy if you ask me

More pictures:
    https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...41718656_n.jpg
    https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...04798694_n.jpg
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...89429438_n.jpg

Next step will be installing two BKP (covered, to keep the look) into this bad boy, but for now I can live with SE pickups, as they are, frankly, quite amazing for the value.
    The guitar is tuned to DAFCGA, with 11-54 set, with the 54 swapped with a 58.

As for the future, I'd like to carve or paint my band "O" logo (reference -> ) on the guitar, and maybe paint it black on the back (I think that the contrast would look quite amazing)

So, tell me what do you think, guys!
    Onyria - check out my band

Nice! I like the mods. I'm not a gold hardware fan either and changed all mine out on my SC.

Nice mods, I too think gold hardware on a white guitar is just too much bling. HNGD. ENJOY!!!

Loooooking Goooood!!!

Double-win!
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Thanks guy! Very happy with these two .

I'm attaching a pic of my old Cu22 Fire Red

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6576/image1cks.jpg

Absolutely awesome pair! Classy mods too, and I'm really digging that Custom 24! That hybrid look looks really well on that finish

Thanks mate! I really pay attention to details Just installed a Nailbomb set, it's just thunderous!! What an awesome axe
    The black amber burst is really 3d-ish with light, something I've never experienced with my old fire red (maybe it was too darker)

The SE is a workhorse!

Bangin'!

Awesome!
    -Austin-

PRS Custom 24 10 Top Fire Red Burst with 57/08s
    PRS Korina McCarty Soapbar BRW Board Vintage Cherry with P90s
    PRS SE Custom 22 Grey Black with Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB

Great Guitars Ray
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

I love the look of Black Amber Burst and yours is damn fine. Congrats on the two new guitars.
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Ray - nice pair you have there!

How hard was the Tremol-No installation?...looks like a pain in the but, I got halfway through the youtube video and thought it would just be easier to use a piece of wood (I just want to block the trem, but would like the option to use it).

The Navarro is classy as hell. Did you have to redrill the holes for the USA bridge? I think the PTC told me via email that the holes don't quite line up but I cannot find the email now...
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 HB II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Man that black amber burst is gorgeous.

I approve of all of these fiddles.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by tiboy View Post
    I love the look of Black Amber Burst and yours is damn fine. Congrats on the two new guitars.
    Thanks mate! At first I wasn't really sure about it, as I am more a "modern" colors guy (fire red, charcoal, blue). The amber black burst is very Gibson-ish (it actually reminds me my old gibson standard as mentioned above , here's a pic -> https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/...11129487_n.jpg ) But when I got it, all the doubts went away, as it's really tridimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    Ray - nice pair you have there!

How hard was the Tremol-No installation?...looks like a pain in the but, I got halfway through the youtube video and thought it would just be easier to use a piece of wood (I just want to block the trem, but would like the option to use it).

The Navarro is classy as hell. Did you have to redrill the holes for the USA bridge? I think the PTC told me via email that the holes don't quite line up but I cannot find the email now...
    No biggie with the tremol no, by following the video is quite easy, just a couple minutes and you're ready to go. Best mod you can do to your prs!
    As for the holes, when I installed the whole thing I noticed that they didn't lined up exactly but not that much that may cause problems. It should be said that I use the Navarro in hard tail mode so the bridge won't move and the bridge screws are not going to be damaged

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I approve of all of these fiddles.

Yummy to all of them
    2013 PRS DGT,2011 PRS CU24,2014 PRS S2 CU24,2014 Prs se CL 2014 Ibanez sir70fd
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .