2016 is a special year because it celebrates the 20th Anniversary of our custom shop, affectionally known as Private Stock. For this anniversary year, Private Stock is bringing back the “Guitar Of The Month” program - a new experimental guitar design will be released in small numbers each month of 2016! Learn more about the May Guitar Of The Month below!
Private Stock is an area of the PRS shop where the most unique instrument building takes place. As a matter of fact, that is exactly how Private Stock came to be. As a builder, Paul Reed Smith felt the urge to try something different and Private Stock was his creative outlet. All of this began in the mid 1990’s, but Private Stock is here today, celebrating their 20th Anniversary, and still experimenting through the Guitar Of The Month program.
We call the May Guitar Of The Month, the “509.”
The guitar’s 25.25” scale length is comfortable and lends itself well to rich humbucker and snappy single coil tones. The 509 was spec’d out with Private Stock grade curly maple wood on the top and neck, an African ribbon mahogany back, kingwood fingerboard, headstock veneer, and truss rod cover, and mother of pearl purfling, side dots, and inlays.
If you’re wondering where the name “509” comes from, we’re referencing the number of pickups and tone options you can achieve! 509 = 5 pickups 9 sounds.
The 509 starts with a 5 single coil platform with the outside two coils grouped as humbuckers. Two mini-toggles on the guitar’s body are set up to "split" those humbuckers when necessary. When you pair this electronics layout with our 5-way blade switch, the result is an incredibly versatile, yet simple to use instrument.
Let’s take a look at all of the tonal options in the 509:
Five Pickups, Nine Sounds
- 5-Way Blade P1, Mini-Toggle Up: Treble Pickup Humbucking
- 5-Way Blade P1, Mini-Toggle Down: Treble Pickup Single Coil
- 5-Way Blade P2, Mini-Toggle Up: Treble Pickup Humbucking + Middle Pickup
- 5-Way Blade P2, Mini-Toggle Down: Treble Pickup Single Coil + Middle Pickup
- 5-Way Blade P3: Middle Pickup
- 5-Way Blade P4, Mini-Toggle Up: Middle Pickup + Bass Pickup Humbucking
- 5-Way Blade P4, Mini-Toggle Down: Middle Pickup + Bass Pickup Single Coil
- 5-Way Blade P5, Mini-Toggle Up: Bass Pickup Humbucking
- 5-Way Blade P5, Mini-Toggle Down: Bass Pickup Single Coil
If it’s hard to wrap your mind around, take a look at this video with PRS demo artist Bryan Ewald as he explains the switching and achievable tones.
Below, check out some photos of the 509 being built by our Private Stock Team!
Check out the 509 Product Page for additional specs and info!
If you’re wondering where you can find one, availability is limited to only 10 instruments but they are available at the following PRS dealers and international distributers: